Skip to main content

(My) Photo[s] of the day, Or Oh sweet home baby, where the skies are so blue

Now, I already have done a fuller feature on my home state. But today I thought that I would feature a veritable FEAST of photographs from our trip from the delicate South to the rugged North West of the Apple Isle, and my home town of Burnie. It was Henry’s first trip to the ‘Coast of Love’ - as I like to call it - and he seemed to enjoy it.

As you can see from this first photograph, the weather was not too kind to us. A real chill in the air, fog and rain greeted our journey northward as we passed through the badlands of the Southern Midlands. This would have been taken somewhere not too far north of Pontville, as we entered the plains of central Tasmania.



However, the weather did clear a bit, and allowed me to get a snap of what I like to call ‘the Midlands Steppe’. It’s not REALLY a steppe, but as a fan of all things Eastern Europe, I like to think of it as our little version of "the Great Steppe".



As the video I posted earlier today shows, we had a break in Campbell Town where Henry and I had a play in the playground, and we all got something to eat. No, Jen has not eaten a small goat here, she is 31 weeks pregnant.



We zipped through the North while Henry slept in the back, and eventually met the glorious sight of Bass Strait as viewed through the farmland just outside of Devonport. This in one of my favourite things to see in all of Tasmania, and reminds me why I have never lived more than five minutes from the sea!



So we are in Burnie, and where else should we go but the beach. It was a cool day so we didn’t take a dip. But it was enough to just hang around, chat to the chickie babes and take in the view.



As is ever the way on the NW Coast, we were treated with a lovely sunset. Not the greatest of snaps, but it nearly does justice to the colours you can find in the sky each evening. It is one of the things that I miss most!



And what would a trip to Burnie be without a trip to the Emu River down in Fern Glade? Only ten minutes walk from my parent’s house, and you can find yourself down in the Southern Temperate Rainforest that used to cover the whole area. If you turn up at dawn or dusk, you stand a pretty good chance of seeing a platypus in its natural habitat. Despite it being nice and misty, we only saw some bubble that may or may not have been one feeding.



Then we went all the way back to Hobart again. That part was not nearly as interesting.

Comments

Maria Verivaki said…
i particularly love the last picture of the greenery - reminds me so much of a part of new zealand!
Lynette said…
I've enjoyed the trip, thanks to your photos and text. About the comment you left at my blog, I felt pretty good about seeing that horse enjoying those boxes, and I felt pretty sad for the person who had so neatly stuffed them in the box for the recycler coming by the next morning. But isn't it often that one man's fun is another man's work?
sam said…
cool journey, thanks for taking us along! Tasmania has a fascinating variety of scenery and habitats for such a small place. That Emu River looks really attractive.
Anonymous said…
where's the picture with uncle jason?
Priyanka Khot said…
WoW! n i mean Wow!

I have read a little about Australia for an assignment I was doing last year. But no words did justice to the beauty of Tasmania.

I hope to enjoy the land n beaches soon enough.

P.S: Congrats to Harry, Jen n you for the new family addition! :-)
Priyanka Khot said…
BTW... you are most welcome to have the fruit beer!

Its a mom-alcoholic drink that looks like beer... hehehe
Meg said…
I've been told often that parts of Tassie looks a bit like New Zealand - the bottom one especially, perhaps. But from the looks of it, I think we're a fair bit colder down here, but maybe it was just today.
Anonymous said…
Interesting how different the landscapes are. It must have been a wonderful trip. - And the little goat ;-)) funny joke.
EG CameraGirl said…
Thanks for the mini-tour. I may never get to Tasmania except through your photos. ;-)
Z said…
Thank you for that journey through so many places that I may never get to see. Lovely land!
The D in D & T said…
beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

tasmania is one of the first places i want to visit when i get home.
Anonymous said…
That looks gorgeous. I'd love to make it to Tassie some day.

Thanks for your comment on my blog today, it made me laugh!
Dina said…
Oi, now you've got me missing Australia, and I haven't even been to the best bits.
Henry's hand on his sibling is so touching.
Kris McCracken said…
M Kiwi and Meg, I have heard the NZ/Tasmania comparison a lot. I think that sections are very close, but we don't have glaciers (anymore).

Lynette, fun and work in the same sentence?

Sam, we stuck the the highway down the middle. The really great sights in my opinion can be found on the West Coast. One day I'll get back there again!

Ominous anonymous, Uncle Jason seemed a little reticent to hold Henry. No idea why...

Priyanka Khot, if you do come to Australia, do give Tassie a try! No fruit beer, but plenty of vegetarian fare.

April, I had to clarify about the goat. Jen has been known...

yEGTG and Z, the Internet has afforded me access to lots of places that I now want to visit. Unfortunately, I would have to leave RIGHT NOW if I expect to spend time in all of the places. The photos and stories are a good substitute however.

D (in D & T), you should take the trip, and bring the T in D & T too!

Jackie, if you get the chance, do! For what it's worth, Glasgow is on my list too. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Dina, I think that the little bloke is starting to get an idea that there will be a new person around the house soon. On the other point, Australia is a BIG place, I myself have never been to WA, SA or the NT.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful picture!
Susan said…
Fantastic colours in that sunset shot!!!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut