Skip to main content

The elusive prime

Henry and I have just finished Muriel Spark’s excellent short novel The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. No doubt, many people will be more familiar with the cinematic version of 1969, but I must say the book is far better, for the usual reasons (nuance and depth not the least).

Upon some reflection on our recent reading habits, we have deliberately chosen a ‘feminine’ novel to mix things up a bit. I have been worried about Henry’s escalating assertive masculinity, and figured that a book written by a woman, set in a girl’s school and ostensibly about a ‘strong’ women in her prime would offer a counter balance to the raging testosterone that has taken over the house.

Having not read any Murial Spark previously, let’s just say that I was taken by surprise. I was taken aback by the complexity of the narrative and plot. This is a book rich and original in style. In terms of delivering a ‘feminine’ voice, I guess it did that. I am not sure if it delivers a message that will be helpful for Henry to hear however! You see, the feminine voice was overwhelmingly Machiavellian in its intent, with all of her characters (except, of course, all of the men and the regrettably stupid Mary McGregor) exhibiting rather base moral frameworks and motivations.

What struck me most was the rather tragic figure that Miss Jean Brodie – a woman in her prime – eventually becomes. It is also an intriguing reflection on the costs of focusing all of one’s attention on the crème de la crème. I will refrain from saying more and risk spoiling the book, for I recommend it highly to all readers.

What I would like to briefly do is reflect for one moment on the notion of one’s prime. I once believed that my prime occurred between the ages of 19 and 24. Yet now I am starting to recognise that this period is better understood as perhaps my early prime. It has been no doubt my physical prime, but I am starting to think that I have another prime to look forward to.

Thus, despite the novel being exceptionally bleak in tone, I do take some solace in Miss Brodie’s exhortation to her students from early in the novel:
“One's prime is elusive. You little girls, when you grow up, must be on the alert to recognise your prime at whatever time of your life it may occur.”
There may be hope for me yet!

Comments

Creme de la creme. One of not only my favoitite books but authors. The ballad of Peckham Rye and Momento Mori to name two. Not your usual girly writer, which is one I liked her. Gritty and ascerbic. This book and what is one's Prime lingers long after the final page, and yes mcuh better than the film.
Kris McCracken said…
I have penciled in those two that you mention in my "must read" list. It is a wonderful book, and certainly has left an impression on me.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut