Skip to main content

The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase; if you pursue happiness you'll never find it.



There are more pros than cons to having a wife who is an absolute champion when it comes to breastfeeding. I'm deadly serious here, Jen would be a lock for Olympic gold if they ever introduce it as a competitive sport. The simply massive Henry was exclusively breast-fed for nigh-on six months (at which point he was the size of the average one year old), and didn't fully wean (his own call) until eighteen months old. In all of that time Jen soldiered through, producing bountiful good stuff to keep him ticking along as healthy as a boy giant could be.

That said, he is also a fussy little bugger who demanded his mother's full attention during feeds, had four teeth at sixteen weeks and refused outright any notion of expressed milk in a bottle. So the pressure was very much upon her.

The pros should be obvious: health benefits (for both mother and baby); good bonding time; less sickly kiddies; huge cost savings; no fumbling about with formula, bottles and teats; less vomit; less constipation and so it goes. For a father, the benefits also extend to less of a burden at feed times, and (best of all), you're not up all through the night with a ravenous human gorging on you (with teeth)! A bit of burping when required, but even that seems to be less with a breast fed baby.

That said, the fellow does inevitably miss out on some of the more immediately appealing (from the sidelines) one-on-one stuff with a newborn. Thankfully, Jen is such a champ that she doesn't mind me asking all manner of questions, having a taste, as well as crawling all over her trying to get more of a feel as to exactly what goes on during a feed.

Whereas Henry eventually broached no notion of anyone even daring to watch while he had his dinner, Ezra is still at that point where he grazes throughout the day, and cares little beyond the fact that he is perched in front of a pair of breasts, full of milk and ready for action! Thus, I can survey the whole scene and take notes (and the odd photograph).

Thus today's marvellous picture. Taken from just over Mum's left shoulder, here is the newest member of the family happy as can be, one breast into his lunch today. A mellow eater, Ezra likes to dine the old fashioned way, with a nap between two large courses. I honestly think that you'd struggle to find such a blissful scene anywhere in the world that didn't involve a man and a generous serving of food (or bust?)

Comments

Jim Klenke said…
Beautiful photo, he looks so peaceful. No cares for him.
He has the cutest little chin.
Meead said…
He is so cute and innocient. God saves him for you.
yogesa said…
Reminds me of the MLTR song

"Oh my Sleeping Child...."

Touching picture !!
Neva said…
He is absolutely gorgeous.....and I am a huge fan of breast feeding....sounds like things are good at your place!
Marie Reed said…
I've been a scrollin' and saw that little Ezra was just born! These shots are all just gems!
Kris McCracken said…
He just doesn’t stop eating!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut