Skip to main content

Stupidity is much the same all the world over.


Here is a dog, not to be confused with a cat. This dog can often be spotted skulking around the Salamanca waterfront each morning. I hope that it doesn’t like in one of these high rise apartments – although I suspect that it does – as life in the inner city is no life for a breed as active as the Border Collie.

I’m not a dog man though; I’m more a cat man. Truth be told, I’m more a crocodile or great white shark man but good breeders can be so hard to find these days. Anyway, I thought that I might leverage off a little discussion that I had on the artistic commune of clusterflock, and share a tale from the murky belly of history.

Like all good stories, it involves a romantic entanglement with a sharp tongued woman, a murder and a dark and stormy night. It also involves a cat, hence the somewhat convoluted segue.

As any cat owner will know, rats are ruthless and efficient killers. If you current have a cat on staff, or have ever had one, you will no doubt be familiar with the inevitability of wounded and/or dying animals turning up on your doorstep (or in your lounge room, under your bed, in your bed et cetera). On occasion, you – as owner – will be called upon to deliver the coup de grace.

I will be honest with you though, I am an individual utterly ruined by the comforts of modern life. Despite my fondness for all things meat, I am squeamish about killing and on those occasions where it is required, I inevitably choose one of drowning or a short sharp blow with a heavy object. Of course, my father – the product of an earlier generation – is old school and seems happy to go the neck wringing route.

So, to the story! Some years ago – early in our courtship – my wife had a cat. As cats do, it would routinely bring in badly injured animals that were aided in their ‘journey into the next life’. One day, sick of the bloodshed, I told Jennifer that she had to take responsibility for the cat's callous actions, and thus the burden to put the sick and injured out of their misery fell upon her shoulders, and that she had to deal with the havoc that he wrought upon the local fauna.

Picture it, early summer, a warm, humid evening. A storm was brewing. Out of the gradually escalating darkness in comes the cat with a distressed baby bird, frail, featherless, bleeding, yet chirping loudly. If you are familiar with the habits of birds, once out of the nest (and especially if handled by humans), it would be doomed to starvation as the parents would most certainly reject it.

Now, she begged me to do the deed, but – having made my position clear – denied her such an easy option. Thus, in the haughtiest manner I could manage (which is pretty bloody haughty), I informed Jennifer that it was her duty as a decent human being to “take care of business” and sent her on her way. I suggested that drowning would be an adequate method and pointed her in the direction of the laundry (which was located outside in the backyard).

In the mean time, it had finally darkened, and the rain started to pelt down. Three or so minutes later, in comes poor old Jennifer, dripping wet, with large welding gloves on (also wet), cradling the still chirping bird, tears streaming down her face, telling me that she just couldn’t do it. Indeed, upon venturing, I discovered that she had even prepared warm water to dispatch the bird (lest it get cold).

Disappointed, but knowing the hand that fate had dealt me, I – silently – took the wretched creature off of her and went outside to finish the deed. Shunning the laundry, I opted for blunt force. It was mercifully quick, and without doubt painless for the poor beastie.

That evening I think that - for good or bad - we learned a little more about each other.

So I put it to you out there: are you a killer or not? Are you a neckwringer, drowner or basher; or are you more likely to shut the doors and windows and put the stereo on and passivly wait for nature to go about its messy business in peace and quiet?

Comments

Well, I was once a quick chop on the neck gal, during a disturbing summer day when I was ORDERED to chop the head off a chicken. And then...there was fried chicken for dinner.
Rachel E. Adams said…
Once my husband's dog was getting old and cranky and bit him, badly. Because it was a dog bite, somehow the county dog catchers got involved and required the dog to be put down after a 10 day wait to make sure it wasn't rabid. But the husband had to go off on a trip around this time, so I had to take the dog to the "humane society" to do it. Maybe for the same reason your wife couldn't take care of the baby bird on her own, I asked one of my good friends to go with me. I met him the year that we were both in France for school, the same year I watched him carry the coffin of his best friend who fell off a cliff while rock climbing and died. So he came with me and stood by me. This was in 1994, and I still remember, but cannot tell you the look the dog gave to me as they held him down to deliver the injection. It was so perplexed and inquiring.
And I envy my friend's wife who still has him to stand by her and take care of what needs to be done. That's a good man who will dispatch the birds when necessary.
I confess I have (luckily)never had to do this up till now. I am a dog man myself (also according to my Chinese sign of birth. Neck wringing, stabbing, drowning, head chopping, a blow in the neck, shooting...I couldn't tell you but if I needed to do something to release an animal from fatal suffering, I would not hesitate to use one of the methods. Neck wringing perhaps only on people for other reasons, but that is a different story.
Anonymous said…
I have one cat (purebred) couldn't be bothered and a stray with x-tra toes who leaves nothing breathing.
Kris McCracken said…
Boise Diva, my father was good at taking the heads off. My grandfather would carry around this small knife, pick a chook up and just whip its head off with this knife in one movement. Awe inspiring, it was. I could never do that.

Rachel, my mother has had the misfortune to be the one called upon to take some beloved pets to the vet to “put them down” after illnesses. I think that this must be a thousand times harder than some random bird or mouse.

Blognote, I would find wring the neck of some foolish person easier than a kitten, I might say!

pasadenaadjacent.com, probably a fortunate pair to own!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut