Skip to main content

The fate of our times is characterized by rationalization and intellectualization and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.


Meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings [repeat to fade].

Christmas time is here again and it seems that everybody (and their dog) wants to avoid any actual work and cram in as many meetings as possible. Like lemmings to a flame, they seem secure in the knowledge the holiday period will not satisfy their craving for inspiring [tedious], engaging [pointless], high-quality [ghastly] MEETINGS.

Being an innovative and resourceful chap, I have already reflected upon this quandary. Out of this contemplation, I have set up a number of structures to meet the gaps that are evident in the upcoming few weeks. Accordingly, I have tabled a number of agendas as follows:
  • Ezra will chair the Quality and Safety Committee.
  • Henry will chair the Children’s Working Group.
  • Jen will chair the Linkages Subcommittee.
  • I have accepted the nomination to chair the Grievance and Discipline Reference Group.

Of course, a number of priority actions are already on the agenda of all of these groups, primarily concerning the establishment of a number of working groups (under the watchful gaze of Ezra, Henry and Jen), to explore and exploit the possibilities for more steering committees, reference bodies, implementation units, review panels; not to mention the immediate formation of a strategic response body to organise the catering for all committees, working groups, subcommittees, reference groups, units and panels.

I figure that all of this will provide us with ample work to avoid do throughout the festive season. As you can imagine, we’re all quite excited at the prospect of more meetings, and I have already got the lads sharpening pencils in preparation. Jen is well into drafting multiple terms of reference for us to argue about and I expect to exit January with a big ol’ bunch of recommendations, priorities and actions that will sit on the shelf an gather dust for years to come!

Comments

smudgeon said…
To me, there's not a phrase in the English language that inspires more tedium & angst than "steering committee". Insipid.
Tash said…
Meetings are things to do during working hours so that non-working hours can be spent doing work...hmmm...now I know why everyone wants more & more meetings toward year end.
Jules said…
I am on holidays and so are the girls and the only meetings we have are about: when to eat, when to sleep, when to go to the beach, when to weight-board etc etc - life is tough!!!!!
Anonymous said…
You forgot the meeting to discuss the meetings. They are good at scheduling those up here.
I've really tried to turn all "Meetings" into teleconferences - so you can dial in, appear to be "there," but really be off doing far more important things.
blackie said…
yep, i'm disenchanted. most days i feel like i'm the chair(wo)man of the board, treasurer, secretary, director, worker bee, general shit-picker-uperer and fixerer of all things animal, vegetable, mineral, physical, spiritual, ethereal. I try to interface with myself over tea and biscuits but i just find my brain wandering to thoughts of being lost at sea in the little boat at the start of In The Night Garden. Perhaps i should swap the biscuits for cake, maybe that would work. Ah bugger, I forgot to type up those minutes...
I'm with you on meetings (to the power of X); it's been a bit like that over here, too, at work--save for the formation of the committees that you have dictatorially set up to steer affairs...and gather dust:-D
Kris McCracken said…
Me, I have had some measure of revenge in my current role as CEO: I’ve managed to eliminate TWO weekly meetings and withdrawn involvement on a number of pointless steering committees (all steering with no-one rowing)!

Tash, and I HATE them!

Jules, not so much fun when they still poo their pants though...
Kris McCracken said…
Mo, there are a lot of those here too. I got an invite on Tuesday to a meeting with the sole focus of “discussing a potential group that will discuss a discussion paper”. Fair dinkum, you couldn’t make this stuff up!

Diva, I sit in on a few of them where I have had to ask people to turn the sound off their computer because they are clearly playing “Snood”.

Blackie, I’ve been disenchanted since the age of about four. It’s hard work...

Emmanuel, a new trick that I discovered was to send a representative in my absence. If only I had more staff!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut