Skip to main content

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.


Sometimes there is nothing more a lad needs than to chew on his mother’s finger for a while. Lately, Ezra has taken it upon himself to chew on whatever he can manage get into his mouth. I am not one to judge, whatever gets him through the night is fine by me.

Sometime I wish that all it took was a quick nibble on a finger to make all of my worries melt away, but alas, it is never that simple. With Christmas on the horizon – and my loathing of all things holiday cheer as solid as ever – I have been thinking about something that I can’t quite make a decision on.

The issue concerns two grossly obese blokes that can be found in the bus mall at 7:45 every morning. These fellows, without fail, can be spotted eating a gigantic helping of fish and chips each. I can’t quite decide if I admire their enthusiasm, zeal and casual disregard for the judgment of the mob, or whether they disgust me.

As always, the very sight of two grossly overweight fellows stuffing their greasy faces full of artery-hardening fat triggers me to ponder the very essence of freedom. We’re not talking the kind of freedom that signifies the mastery over one's inner condition.

Are these guys masters or slaves, is what I am wondering. Some would argue that their inability to act in accordance with the dictates of reason renders them slaves to their desire. Yet perhaps Fatty A and Fatty B are merely expressing their ability to act in accordance with their own true self regardless of the slavish decrees of modern medicine vis-à-vis diet and exercise.

But no, I tell myself, does Kant not have a point, is not freedom choosing “what ought to be done”, not “what I want to do”? Is the ability to act in accordance with universal values not true freedom?

For a bald French bore, Sartre proposes an interesting view on freedom with his notion that humans are condemned to be free. In this sense, Fatty A and Fatty B carry not just the weight of their bulging guts, but the weight of the whole world on their hulking frames. In this way, they are responsible for the world and for themselves as a way of being!

Cor blimey!

For Sartre, even if one does not want to be responsible, one cannot be anything but responsible for their actions. For Sartre, the Fatty brothers – in the daily expressions of their essential gluttony – are expressing their essential freedom. Even if they are slaves!

Philosophy, don’t you just love it?

Comments

Chuck Pefley said…
I've been known to ask myself similar questions when observing the type of humanoid you so eloquently describe. I believe the term might be simple gluttony?
bitingmidge said…
Fatty A
Fatty B

If you had provided a percentage for each it would make a complete a contents label!

Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia
Anonymous said…
Hi Kris,
Isn't Ezra getting more like Henry every day. In this most recent photo I can see it so much.
Your boys are a joy.
I've enjoyed popping into your site to check out your photos and to check on your boys ever since I saw your link on Rita's site.

Chris from Hobart too.
Anonymous said…
Slip of the keys there.
That would be Christina
Julie said…
I allow them to have the choice - eat anything they choose and as much of it as they choose. Just dont complain about the consequences.

Just one little whinge and I tell them to put down the bloody fork!

Interesting that if I call someone "fat" it us regarded as non-PC whereas if they call me skinny and say I have a body-image problem, then they are simply concerned for my welfare.
Miles McClagan said…
Could one be slave and one be...

No, that's disgusting, let's pretend I didn't say that, yum, biscuits...

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut