Skip to main content

If you want to see what children can do, you must stop giving them things.


So it is Theme Thursday again, and I am wondering if you can guess the theme?

If you guessed one of 'baby', 'computer' or 'mop of hair', you guessed wrong.

Today's theme is of course TOY, and my word, don't we have a lot of toys in our house. I would go so far as to say that we have far too many toys.

In my day, you were lucky to have a bit of broken glass and a rusty nail wrapped in newspaper to play with (and that had to serve for breakfast and dinner too), so the notion of these kiddies of mine rolling around in a veritable wonderland of rattles, cubes with bells in them, pop up tents, tricycles with needlessly elongated handles, singing (English) pots and pans, plastic animals, plastic rocks, plastic trees, small fisherpeople of indeterminate genders (but definite African ancestry), Apple computers with fiddly keys and balls balls BALLS is somewhat overwhelming.

Compounding my distress, every time that I endeavour to shed unnecessary toys, more appear! Did you know that Elmo has a garbage truck? Elmo also has a jeep, plane, train and combine harvester. Why does Elmo need all of these vehicles I ask Henry, and he just shrugs his shoulders.

The amusing thing is that the best toys of all prove to be things like a wooden chopstick with a sock tied to it, or a stool with a blanket thrown over, a pile of pillows in the living room. No, I’ve made up my mind, I’m gonna chuck out some of these toys!

Comments

I've done the same over this way, you should have heard the fits the kids gave over me throwing out a bag of toys that they never paid much attention to until Momma started chucking them into a garbage sack...I was tired of seeing them strewn all over the place!
Uma por Dia said…
I totally agree with you!

They are so big and beautiful!!!! Congrats big father :)
Megan said…
I think Liam had a wooden chopstick with a sock tied to it at one point.
KL said…
So, who buy all these toys for Henry and Ezra :-P? Just thought of sharing a word of caution with you, if you please do not mind. Please make sure the countries of origin for these toys. Many of these toys are Chinese made and they have high toxicity. Children put them in mouth and over time the toxicity level gets build up in blood. And that can lead to very serious health effects :-(. That is why European countries have some sort of laws regarding toys and labels on them (I have forgotten that). And for that reason, if I ever have any children, I am going to be extremely careful about all these toys.
blackie said…
yep, drowning in toys. we have it too. Strict orders have been given to grandparents: NO MORE TOYS. those unwitting relatives that disobeyed last christmas saw their offending items go straight to charity.

of course any toys that i make are ok :P
Anonymous said…
I think we have the right amount. Although she's not that interested really. All of ours (save books and the fluffy toys on the shelf in her room) can fit into 2 of those standard sized plastic cubes. Relatives either give clothes or books or check first. Duplo and lego will be a theme though for this year's birthday/xmas, we don't have much of that at all.
Kris McCracken said…
Findingmywingsinlife, they will go to the play group or the needy.
Kris McCracken said…
Uma por Dia, and breast fed the whole way!

I must be feeding Jen growth hormones...
Kris McCracken said…
Megan, we could make a killing with this idea. It'd be the new Furby!
Kris McCracken said…
KL, that would be primarily my parents, who drown them with presents. I am trying to implement a firmer hand with them, but parents can be like toddlers sometimes...

We steer clear of any toys like that and try and play it safe. If in doubt, chuck it out, is my motto.
Dakota Bear said…
Kris,

I still think the best toy is an empty oatmeal box(like Quaker) and a wooden spoon.
Kris McCracken said…
Blackie, they sound much like our rules. Hand made is fine by me.
Kris McCracken said…
Hallam, you need to just let her into the MILLIONS of dollies littering your joint...
Kris McCracken said…
Dakota Bear, we've had to place the wooden spoon on a barred list. Too many bruises...
yamini said…
Hi Kris,
You are right in saying that these days kids have every conceivable thing to play with as compared to the previous generations.
Guess, it has something to do with better lifestyle as well as consumerism taking its toll on us.
The situation is pretty much same everywhere in the world.
Here in India (I am sure elsewhere too), we have shops selling stylised accessories for kids (Imagine!!!!) including monogrammed ones.
though, it is ok as long as kids have enough to play around with.
But in case you are determined to get rid of the extra toys, dont throw them out, just donate. Some other kid might not be as fortunate but he or she would sure appreciate receiving this gift.
(Hope I didnt sound like a preacher!!)
Babzy.B said…
Yep , i agree with you ! i like the detail of the computer and the two little feet ;)
You are so damn right!
If you want to see what children can do, you must stop giving them things: it would surely contribute to making them better adults as well!
Cheers, Kris!
Colette Amelia said…
It does seem to me the more basic toy is the toy that has the most playability and the longest longevity.

But another problem is like you pointed out the abundance...how much can a child play with...and just because we have the ability to buy more should we?

Good luck Dad!
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, they don't go in the bin, they go to someone who wants them. That's generally my rule.
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, I have a few shots of Henry on the computer. I'll post one later on.
Kris McCracken said…
Blognote, it seems that we are of a like mind!
Kris McCracken said…
Colette, I worry about people who work all hours to give their children "stuff", private schools, computers, games, toys, TVs etc etc but don't ever seem able to give them time.
Tom said…
probably, hopefully, the kids will never miss the toys you donate...of course if you ask, they will NEED every last toy and won't part with any...nice to see kids in with the Toy theme.
Kris McCracken said…
Runmotman, to be honest, many of the toys I'm passing on are still in boxes.
Brian Miller said…
great pic! my boys love to get on my laptop and play. i am surprised more toy manufacturers don't pick up on this and link the toys to online play.
Kris McCracken said…
Brian, if you know of any good "keyboard mashers" that Henry can play, I'd be happy to hear of them!
Anonymous said…
Ah found it now! You take me right back to when my boys were young. I did eventually chuck all the toys out- regretting it now!
Kris McCracken said…
Cinnamon, if we don't start getting rid of stuff now, there will be no room to move!
Cuppa Jo said…
I thought Elmo was too young to drive.

I agree that kids have far too many toys nowadays. And many of them don't ever seem to be satisfied.

Ah...a cardboard box with a blanket and a pillow. What bliss!
Kris McCracken said…
Cuppa Joe, thankfully my don't seem to notice when stuff goes missing...
Baino said…
You let your kid play with your Powerbook! Ahrrghggh, Yeh a cubby house under the dining table, sink full of soapy water . .the box 'it' came in . .all more fun than the toys!
Kris McCracken said…
Baino, the Mac on Henry's knee is Jen's reserve computer. He's generally okay with it, just has a tendency to find all sorts of shortcuts that I can't reverse...
Ronda Laveen said…
Elmo sez:
Elmo has needs, you know? What Elmo wants Elmo gets. Elmo loves your kiddies. Much. Much much. What else would you like to buy Elmo?
Kris McCracken said…
Ronda, Elmo is very demanding.
Dot-Com said…
When kids are young enough, the gift wrapping paper seems to be the most interesting part of a present. Maybe just a matter of stimulating the creativity - an empty box can be so many things.
Leah said…
We're drowning in toys! But most of 'em are mine... if my daughter ever tries to throw out my Barbies, I'll freak!
Kris McCracken said…
Dot-Com, Henry had unwrapping duties here last X-mas, and was indeed more interested in that then the presents within.
Kris McCracken said…
Leah, do you have the pink Barbie Corvette? If so, do you let Ken drive?

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary