Skip to main content

The mocker is never taken seriously when he is most serious.


There are so many alternatives.

There is blue, there is black. There is walking, there is running. There is fish, there is door. There seems to be nothing left to the imagination any more.

There is you sitting in a green plastic chair. You wear a light blue shirt, thin, yet suitable for this time of year. Your trousers are tan, but some refer to them as bone. You smile and feel pleased with yourself, You have had nature explained to you but now find yourself bored with it.

There are no more questions left.

I found myself perched up on the roof. It was raining. At least it felt like rain. There were no monkeys on the rooftop, only sparrows. Yet the sparrows were rats and the rats were cats and the cats all wore bright orange raincoats badly stitched up.

So I jumped.

This is a low.

And frankly, it causes me no end of worry.

I forget things all the time. Big hats. Big hats don't mean anything to me these days. The rum rebellion does not seem all that important and I'd like to know just why she calls me by that name.

I fall down a lot. Stairs represent a special challenge; just as the breaks in conversation represent a gulf, certain discontinuities that can never be overcome.

The end.

To know.

To know when to end. To know something. To be sure. To answer. To complete. To find a point. To locate a frame of reference. To belong. Certainty. Assurance. An understanding. An understanding without words. Dependence without resentment. Possession. Loss.

And it's gone.

Do you love me?

If you love me first.

So it goes.

The cats always wear bright orange raincoats badly stitched up. These cats can't sow. Thus their fields remain barren and when the crop finally came in it was rather less then anticipated.

Here is now and here I am.

Silly cats. They'll never learn.

Old dogs, new tricks.

Cats.

Yes, she's my baby. She belongs to me. She owes me.

But yesterday. Yesterday was a... another day. Yesterday she, well, she walked home alone.

And I'm feeling kind of sorry but I guess I fell down again.

Why didn't I ask where they were taking me?

If you don't care about your destination you don't ask.

I often wonder why it is that cats wear bright orange raincoats badly stitched up and their farms don't work. In any event, they won't get hit crossing the road at night.

Sometimes socks never come back.

This was the last we heard of him. In front of everyone, he extracted his head and placed it gently on his lap, twisting it ever so gently as if to see within.

I have never pretended to understand women.

In green, she did not seem to care too much that she was getting her new shirt wet. I could feel my eyes churning into dust as the sun sat obesely on the horizon as the rain tumbled down, just waiting for me to flinch.

You first.

But it's always me.

Her breath betrays a slight alcoholic odour. A delicate hint of the tropics that reaches right down my throat, into my belly and firmly grasping my testicles.

I am not wherever it is you take me to be.

Not yet, anyway.

It seems as if someone has made a mistake.

In my hands like sodden paper, a thick, glutinous, pale green liquid.

We wait ever so patiently, getting ever angrier by the second.

Somewhere in the background, a brass band.

So drink your coffee and tell yourself all is well with the world. Happiness can't be bought across the counter.

Me and my cats wearing bright orange raincoats badly stitched up who were rats who were sparrows who were most definitely not monkeys listen to the cool rain patter on the rooftop and wait, we can wait.

We've waited this long.

To sleep.

To sleep and dream of love.

Comments

Maria Verivaki said…
one of my best friends falls down a lot, but she always manages to pick herself up, and that's the most important thing
Kris McCracken said…
Kiwi, that is indeed the most important thing.
Colette Amelia said…
I would get that checked...falling down can't be good. I walked into a pole once and let me say that isn't good...

maybe you have a concussion?
Dot-Com said…
Falling down jut leaves a chance to get up again...
Miles McClagan said…
Falling Down was one hell of a movie
G. B. Miller said…
Nice free form prose.

Falling down isn't so bad sometimes. For me, it makes an excellent conversation starter.
Babzy.B said…
i like the quote, i know some sad clowns...
Kris McCracken said…
Collete, you can learn a lot by falling down.
Kris McCracken said…
Miles, I can understand going crazy when they won't do you a McMuffin.

What does it matter to them what time of day it is?
Kris McCracken said…
Georgie, the ladies love it...
Kris McCracken said…
Bazby, I have a set against clowns. And mimes.

The theatre more generally annoys me actually.
USelaine said…
cats monkeys birds me

I like

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut