Skip to main content

Dialectic thought is an attempt to break through the coercion of logic by its own means.


If you haven't already guessed, I'm a sucker for photographs featuring odd angles, and am forever drawn to boats. So when I managed to fuse the two in a harmonious rhapsody, I am a happy fellow indeed. So today I present to you a rat's eye view of the fine brigantine, Windeward Bound.

I was intrigued to find some raised eyebrows the other day when I expressed disdain for the work of one K. Hepburn. I’ve always found her a dull and interminable actor, forever locked into playing the same feisty, offbeat scallywag. Now, I appreciate her bucking the norm, but a combination of red hair and that frankly grating toff accent firmly puts her in my “can’t stand” pile, and they fact that such an elitist shrew acts as some kind of cynosure for “strong women” displeases me.

In honour of Dame Katherine, I wish to begin a Katie Hepburn Dishonour Role of sacred cows. Some time ago, I entered into the dangerous territory of naming and shaming people or creative endeavours that annoy me, so they can join in to the inaugural class!
Katherine Hepburn

Dr Suess

Ian Curtis

The Dalai Lama

Robert De Niro

Radiohead (since 1998)

To this esteemed company – and to bring the intake into a far neater TEN – I wish to add:
Bill Hicks: if I wanted to hear crude and simplistic rants about politics, I’d just go back and work with undergrads again. Seriously, if the dude hadn’t died no one would give him a second thought. He’s like the Joe Strummer of comedy.

Frank Zappa: it’s experimental is it? That doesn’t make it right...

The Shawshank Redemption: number one film on IMDB? Really?!? How? Triumph of the human spirit? Overlong, dour, pompous example of agonizingly contrived and cloying twaddle morelike!

The Clash: where does one start with The Clash? Toffs hating toffs? Tick. Lionising mindless action over thought? Tick. Mediocre chords that seem pedestrian when compared to anything not prog-rock related? Tick. A couple of decent tracks amidst a long list of crap albums? Tick. Let’s face it, The Clash are lyrically superficial, musically ugly, and frankly, little more than embarrassing poseurs slumming it (and not very convincingly, I might add). The Clash are the Bill Hicks of Rock ‘n Roll.


THAT should set the cat amongst the pigeons!

Comments

Lee Spangler said…
Thanks for visiting my post and enjoying my photo. First time on yours. I agreed almost entirely regarding your reviews of music, movies and actors. esp. Shawshank.. If I hear one more person extol that movie I'm going to puke.
Dina said…
Your rat's eye view of the good ship makes you a happy photographer and me a very happy reader.
Kris McCracken said…
Lee, Shawshank is just so utterly mediocre!
Hallam said…
that's so funny coming from a dragon fan.
Tash said…
Can't beat the "rat's eye-view" comment - priceless.
I liked Kate in The Philadelphia Story and the one about 2 lawyers. I liked her so much 20 yrs ago that I read her bio.
I SO AGREE about De Niro!
Zappa was good (because he was odd) when I was 16 - & that's a long time ago. And he was very nice to the nutty groupy girl that wrote "I'm with the Band", so that counts for a lot. Others - don't know (much) don't care. Thought the movie was good - I didn't expect to like it though, maybe that's the trick to liking it.
Kris McCracken said…
Hallam, Rain, Are You Old Enough and April Sun in Cuba > London Calling.
Kris McCracken said…
Tash, I like the image of rats scurrying up the ropes while the brig is berthed. The rat is quite an admirable creature.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut