Skip to main content

Conservative, n. A statesman enamoured of existing evils, as opposed to a Liberal, who wants to replace them with others.


Here is hairy Henry showcasing his version of a chonmage (丁髷, ちょんまげ), a form of Japanese traditional haircut. It is most commonly associated with the Edo Period and samurai, but more recently, you might recognise it from those really fat blokes in nappies. Originally, it was a method of using hair to hold a samurai helmet steady atop the head in battle.

When I (politely) informed Henry that he was neither Japanese, a Samurai, or indeed a fat bloke in nappies (he's a lean bloke in underpants who poos on the toilet now), he promptly had a haircut!

Comments

Sarah said…
I've remembered that Korean serial "Jomung fiction". Personally I do not like this serial but it has many serious watcher here in Iran!
Henry looks cute here! It seems he knew it, because of that smile!
Roddy said…
The techniques we take to get one to have a haircut. It's downright diabolical. Had you persevered with the ponytails, Henry was beginning to take on a certain charisma. Shades of Steven Segal.
Kris McCracken said…
Sarah, we don't get many Korean serials here in Tasmania. I am slightly (pleasantly) surprised that they have a following in Iran.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, he was such a good boy having it cut. Sat still and didn't carry on like the previous three times.
Roddy said…
I'm besotted. He is certainly growing up when he will sit still for the barber. Shorter hair does suit him. Opens his face up to the camera.
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, it also makes him look a lot older.
LOL! What a riot! I love these posts about Henry!
yamini said…
Awwwwww!!! Such a sweet photograph. You know, in India, such a hairstyle is very common for toddlers. this one and the other being two ponytails instead of one.

And yes, I agree with Roddy's Steven Seagal comment. You should give it a try. ;-)
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, I hate Steven Seagulll.
yamini said…
You are so nice, really!!!
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, some people would argue that point...
yamini said…
That was supposed to be the beginning of an argument. ;-)
Roddy said…
You know my son, I couldn't remember how to spell Segal. Almost gave it the Seagull as you did. Bit poonsey for my liking.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, I never argue.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary