Skip to main content

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds...


The clock tower at Hobart's General Post Office bathed in nice winter afternoon sunlight. We've had too little of this lately, as it's mainly been raining.

Time for the Sunday Top Five! Today I am revisiting my Top Five Ever Karaoke Performances
  1. Total Eclipse of the Heart: for the amateur vocalist, the sheer overwrought emotion of Bonnie Tyler's raspy voiced paean to wandering lovers the world over is a good song for the confident (or inebriated) to belt out.

  2. Come on Eileen: a rousing, jaunty little number that harks back to the music hall. The chanting bit in the middle can rescue strugglers. The fact that there are not many words also helps.

  3. Sexual Healing: easily the most challenging of the bunch, as not many are blessed with the pipes of Marvyn Gaye. That said, the degree of difficulty makes it a triumph if pulled off, especially if the intent is to send a [ahem] message to any ladies in the audience.

  4. Suspicious Minds: you can't have Karaoke with an Elvis track. The distinctive voice makes it easy to imitate, and I'd advise sticking to the later, crooning hits as the early belters can be tricky work. Generally the songs about failing love affairs are good grist for the mill, as emotion can carry those less fortunate in the vocal departments (see: Heart, Total Eclipse of the).

  5. Islands in the Stream: If you lack confidence, don't do it alone! However, group efforts are usually embarrassing unless you've got a duet to work with. I prefer the Kenny role myself, as I can't quite reach Dolly's high notes...

Comments

yamini said…
I have a soft corner for clock towers and I like them, from all over the world. They have a majestic air about them. The one in the photograph also looks like that.
Nice one Kris.
Valerie said…
Excellent picture. I like those of buildings and clocks. I reckon I was an architect in a former life. Islands in the stream was a favourite even though I don't look a bit like Dolly.
G. B. Miller said…
I think that power ballads are about the only thing I can tolerate while listening karaoke.

Winter time already?

That's making me a little sad already. Here we're just finishing up the summer.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, one does love a good clock tower. Except for the one in Ulverstone, that's plain ugly.
Kris McCracken said…
Valerie, it is a ripper.
Kris McCracken said…
G, listening to Karaoke is not nearly as interesting as singing it.
yamini said…
Haven't seen that, so can't say anything. But will check it out on net.
Baino said…
And every screaming hen's favourite . . Living on a Prayer. Nice photo too.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut