Skip to main content

Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.


Self portrait in a car park, August 2009.

As the only lady in the house packed to the gunwales of testosterone, poor Jen suffers intolerably. Even dear, sweet, lovely little Ezra™ has embraced with great vigour the masculine world of balls, drums, wild animals, mixed martial arts and random shouting.

That said, Henry has his oven and has established a keen interest in the kitchen, even if his spiel is more Gordon Ramsey than Julia Child. He’s also shown an eagerness to learn the fine art of knitting (i.e. stabbing me with the needles and lynching his little people with the wool). He enjoys the supermarket (“What’s that daddy?” “What’s that daddy?” “What’s that daddy?” “What’s that daddy?” “What’s that daddy?” “What’s that?” “What’s that?” “WHAT’S THAT?”)

We have Colin – the baby dolly introduced to Henry when we learned that Ez was on his way. Henry enjoys bathing Colin, wrapping Colin, changing Colin, dressing Colin, putting Colin to bed, feeding Colin, throwing Colin at me. That sort of thing.

Henry helps with the washing. He helps mop the floor, and he – in a fashion – wants to brush our hair. Both lads are fascinated by the vacuum. Henry has graduated from folding clean face washers to folding clean handkerchiefs. If I did not have an ideological opposition to ironing – i.e.,
an elitist con job designed to distract attention away from the subjection of the proletariat to the bourgeoisie and focus instead on creases – I am sure that they’d both be happily waving an iron around each morning.

You see, despite being two of the finest examples of masculinity, my lads are new men. Not metrosexuals, that pathetic fusion of airheaded vanity, unthinking consumerism and poorly chosen shirts, they are NEW MEN, fusing all that is good about the stereotypical man – honourable, strong, robust, physical, brave – with the traits that OLD MAN perhaps lacked – sensitivity, good hygiene, a nurturing spirit.

Comments

jerrypuke said…
just to let you know that your posts are always refreshing and the pictures are just as great.
Landed here randomly and now a follower.
Roddy said…
I'm sure you have offended someones generation with your generalization of the male species.
I like to think of myself as that hard drinking,(past tense), hard working, hard living man about the house. Your mother taught me to embrace most things feminine.
yamini said…
Jen and you are both blessed to have such sweet, adorable, cute, darling sons. God Bless Them Both.

And, at the cost of repeating myself for the umpteenth time now, Please Write a Book. I would even come to Tasmania if I have to, in order to buy a copy.
yamini said…
Oh, and i forgot to mention, the sock in the photograph is cute too. Is it woven at home or bought in the market?
Tania said…
Not to be forgetting the sock matching!
Babzy.B said…
Very good self portrait ;)
Kris McCracken said…
Jerrypuke, I am happy to hear that!
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, men are such sissies.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, they are good little boys.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, the sock is Tasmanian wool, but bought from the market.
Kris McCracken said…
Tania, we still do that, and every time he mentions Evie!
Kris McCracken said…
Babzy, happy to oblige.
Roddy said…
Limp wristed girlies. I know, I am surrounded by them. Bloody sheilas the lot of them.

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral