Skip to main content

One can only blaspheme if one believes.


One of Henry's most favourite things in the whole wide world is "dinner outside". Here in Tasmania, "dinner outside" equates to "dining with seagulls". Thus, the other evening, we headed on down to Bellerive beach and feasted on an array of scallops, prawns, squid, blue grenadier, dory and chips at the world famous (well, it is now) Fish Bar.

We ate in the shadows of the light towers of the magnificent Bellerive Oval (home of the 2006/7 Sheffield Shield winners, the Tasmanian Tigers) and under the watchful gaze of a gang of seagulls that were loitering about.

Which brings me to Theme Thursday. I got the IMPRESSION that the seagulls were up to no good. The cynosure appeared to be a battered scallop (or perhaps it was a prawn), and despite my warnings to Henry and Ezra to avoid encouraging the winged-rapscallions, an imbroglio ensued when a stray chip found itself on the grass next to us.

You can imagine the commotion. In fact, in the subsequent kerfuffle, one sly bugger slipped away from the group surreptitiously and - unbeknownst to me at the time - exploited my exposed left flank. As I endeavoured to circle the wagons and defend dinner from the attacking hordes, Ezra pointed above and shouted "watch out" (actually, it was "Mama", but that doesn't make any sense as I am not his Mama). It was this moment that I FELT the coup de grace.

Poo right in the eye. Humiliated yet again in front of the children.


On that note, I wish to wish my darling and long suffering wife a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I did manage to procure a number of sought after gifts, but I actually believe that she deserves a medal for putting up with us all.

Comments

Ah, the old crap in the eye trick... works every time.
Kris McCracken said…
CLL, they are buggers.
Anonymous said…
Ha! I enjoyed that. And your pictures are beautiful.
Tom said…
ugh, did you do an impression of a one-eyed pirate? You know, the one who wipes the gull poo out his eye with his hook hand! That's a joke for another day.
Kris McCracken said…
Tom, I swore like a pirate.
Tracey said…
Oh that's horrible. I had that happen once on the play ground at recess. My fellow students laughed for weeks.
Kris McCracken said…
Tracey, I have had it quite a few times.
Ms Hen's said…
oh no.

lol.

Australia. The separate continent.. with the most unusual animals.. marsupial and monotones.

We have a Beard Dragon .. from Australia.. and a Blue Tongue Skink.

My son, almost 14, wants to be a Herpetologist.

I always wanted to go there..
Kris McCracken said…
Ms Hen, we're an odd mob down here.
yamini said…
What a wonderful day!! Happy Birthday Jen all the way from Delhi, India.

Hope you enjoy this day to your heart's fill. :-))
Sue said…
Seagulls...the same all over the world!
And a very, very happy birthday to the most beautiful Jen! We wish her much happiness and love! And indeed, the highest honour that can be bestowed on a mother...not a medal, but the love of her dear little sons...and her wretched husband, who would be nothing without her! hehehehee
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, she will see it!
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, I remember you getting poo'd on at the zoo once.
Megan said…
Good job, Ez. Your mind definitely went to the right place when you saw the hordes descending!

Happy birthday to the sufferer.

And a "Spot-On" award to Pixar, for the blank-eyed "Mine?" of the gull.
Kris McCracken said…
Megan, "Mama" is very much his default word.

Interestingly, Henry's was "Dada" before it became "more".
studioJudith said…
The Universal
Seagull Salute.

Jjj
Sue said…
The zoo is definitely not the only place I have been poo'd upon! But it so nice that your memory of our visit to the zoo consists of me and shyte!
Roddy said…
I don't know about seagulls. But to have a bird defecate on you is said to bring good luck. Supposedly things can only look up from here. No pun intended.
Hi! Kris,
Omg! I finally stop laughing (Note: I never laugh at other, but with...)to type this response.
Shades of Hitchcock's The Birds.
and I most definitely, want to wish Jen a Happy Birthday!
Thanks, for sharing and Happy TT
DeeDee ;-D
JeffScape said…
I've been crapped on by a bird... but I ain't saying where it landed.
Dreamhaven said…
I shudder to think
Of the impression it made
As I felt that poo
Slide down my face.

Happy TT and happy birthday to Jen
Wings1295 said…
Honestly, are seagulls ever up to any GOOD???

No, I don't think so.
Betsy Brock said…
You are so funny!

Happy Birthday to your wife...yes, she deserves a medal..haha...but the gifts will do just fine. :)
Baino said…
Isn't it supposed to be good luck to be pooed on from a great height? Happy birthday to Jen
Stephanie said…
I hate it when that happens!
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, it was more frightening than that.
Kris McCracken said…
Jeff, I am intrigued now.
Kris McCracken said…
DH, this one kind of stuck there...
Kris McCracken said…
Wings, maybe when they tend their young.
Kris McCracken said…
Betsy, she got some presents all right.
Kris McCracken said…
Baino, I don't count myself as lucky to have poo in my eye.
Kris McCracken said…
Stephanie, I'd be worried if you said that you loved it! ;)
Kris McCracken said…
Judith, absolutely.
Kris McCracken said…
Sue, Cody would have been Ezra's age.
Anonymous said…
I can so relate to this one, Kris. Tho' we were siting in the cars( alas, no diner ) and tossing chips onto each others bonnets trying to lure the gulls into...well, you can imagine...the car-wash got busy, heh, heh...
Chuck Pefley said…
LOL!! A wonderful story! And a belated birthday greeting to your wife -:)
Kris McCracken said…
Subby, that's a dangerous game.
Kris McCracken said…
Chuck, she's a special lady!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary