Friday, January 22, 2010

To be a poet is a condition rather than a profession.


Summer in Tasmania means festivals. More specifically, summer in Tasmania means fart festivals. Of course, I am a loather lover of the arts. My problem, however, is that the current MONA FOMA - MONA Festival of Music and Art , which seems to have centred itself in Hobart's Salamanca district, has meant an array of LOUD art right outside my office window.

The past two weeks has seen a [ahem] sandpit with a piano rigged up to four amplifiers in it sat literally metres away from my desk. The "art" [ahem] involves members of the public (and their children), banging on said piano throughout the day. Compounding my misery, there is a looped track consisting of rising and falling harmonies that appears designed to infiltrate ones head with the sole purpose of engendering an intense desire to extricate one's brain with a teaspoon.

Art indeed!

7 comments:

me said...

...And last year it was the birds eating seed off the guitars.

The wonders of modern art never cease.

Kris said...

Me, I was amused when I had Henry in there to see the art, and after a play in the sand and fiddle with the piano, I said "time to go".

He protested, "but we haven't seen the art yet!"

Quite right, I thought to myself.

Who Is Tim Burton? said...

Hi! Kris,
Being an artist-I'am always willing to be open minded when it comes to art and different artist's mood and work, but I must admit that your description of this art festival (MONA FOMA) would even push me to the breaking point!

Thanks, for sharing...I ttthink!
DeeDee ;-D

Kris said...

DeeDee, I'll get some photos.

Roddy said...

Did you extricate the brain safely? More importantly though, did you wash the spoon thoroughly before returning it to the tea-room? You never know what yuckies grey matter may be harbouring.
Also, did you offer cake with any of the art?

Kris said...

BAH!

Roddy said...

I take it the BAH was for me.
Tell me! MONA? Is it because we mona for this and we mona for that.
No sweat, it doesn't require an answer.