Thursday, May 27, 2010

A conqueror is always a lover of peace.


The view north from Salmanca Place in the evening, rendered as a 1980s synth-pop album inner sleeve. May 2010.

Theme Thursday and I'm in a rush! What a surprise.

WRINKLE. Hmmmm.

Wrin·kle. Noun. (rngkl)

Hmmmm.

"1. A small furrow, ridge, or crease on a normally smooth surface, caused by crumpling, folding, or shrinking."

Hmmmm. No.

"2. A line or crease in the skin, as from age."

No.

"3. A clever trick, method, or device, especially one that is new and different."

Closer. Far closer.

"4. A problem or imperfection; a fault."

GOT IT!

Combine four and three and I can link today's theme with the photo chosen randomly last week.

An unsteady hand, low levels of light and an unpredictable bus schedule lead to a series of photographs that exhibited a WRINKLE (that is, WRINKLE as outlined in definition four).

My WRINKLE (see definition three), was to utilise mediocre significant PhotoShop skills and render said presentable image through a "clever trick, method, or device" (not particularly new if you like Ah-Ha, of course).

So your verdict, did I manage it this week?

One thing that I have noted - and something for all you etymologists out there, is that WRINKLE comes from Middle English, probably from Old English gewrinclod, the past participle of gewrinclian, which means "to wind, or crease".

It shall be my personal crusade to rescue GEWRINCLOD from the rubbish bin of history!

32 comments:

Magpie said...

Kris, I think you got it!!
Very well done...I love the photo.

Crazyasa said...

Well defined!

anthonynorth said...

Great picture - and may your gewrinclods be few and thin :-)

Julie said...

...*chuckle*... you got it.

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

You certainly did manage it. Stunning image!

Roddy said...

When the picture first began forming I thought you had taken a picture of Brain Coral. What a novel approach to take time lapse pictures without the time lapse. I like it.

Brian Miller said...

actually the picture is amazing...so yeah, you did well. and what is this word you have been bandying around "ger..."

mouse (aka kimy) said...

consider yourself the rescuer of gewrinclod!! and please ignore my comment to your comment on the mouse should you go over to follow up...

i am going to try incorporating it into my vocabulary!

Roy said...

I dub you Sir Rescuer! Now go and rescue more. Heh, heh.

Nanc Twop said...

''your verdict, did I manage it this week?''

Why, yes, yes you did.

;-)

Leeuna said...

Great photo. Maybe we could call our wrinkles "windings" instead. Wait, I haven't been winding my face...have I?

Kris said...

Magpie, it wasn't so impressive untouched...

Kris said...

Crazyasa, thank you dictionary!

Kris said...

Anthony, I'm not sure that I have any... yet.

Kris said...

Julie, hurrah!

Kris said...

Lorenzo, very 1985.

Kris said...

Roddy, brain coral. Yum.

Kris said...

Brian, the answer is in the post!

Kris said...

Kimy, we need to reclaim it!

Kris said...

Roy, I do have a list.

Kris said...

Nancy, good.

Kris said...

Leeuna, windings is good.

Monkey Man said...

Great gewrinclod on the Theme Thursday topic. Thanks fro dropping by to visit and comment on my TT. Always nice to get introduced to another blogger.

Kris said...

MM, it's a big ol' world!

Betsy said...

You've left that crazy looking word on everyone's blog today! I'm glad I finally made it here to find out what you were talking about! LOL!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Oh yes. This wrinkle is so very good! -j

PattiKen said...

Wow! For someone "in a rush," you did an amazing job with this one.

California Girl said...

I don't know how you guys do it but I love it. I love the colors and energy. My husband is a photographer and he did an exercise like this on Flickr and it turned out so cool.

Nice job.

moondustwriter said...

ok now I know what that word means - duh!!!

happy wrinkles

Cheryl said...

I loved this Kris! Two new words and some insight into how your mind works.

Great gewrinclod post.

Thanks for dropping by to visit on TT.

Baino said...

Yep, definitely managed. My night shotsare similarly wrinkled more often than not! I'm having enough trouble dealing with crows feet and now I have gerwrinclods?

Kris said...

Thanks all. Jeez I'm behind!