Sunday, August 08, 2010

Sooner or later, one has to take sides. If one is to remain human.


Odd things painted on walls in New Town, #1. New Town Road. July 2010.

Who said that holding hands is powerless



Huh?

I’m not sure that that is a sentence. Traditionally (and far too simplistically), a sentence is traditionally defined as a group of words that expresses a complete idea and that includes a subject and a verb.

Convention also dictates that it ends with a full stop, question mark, or exclamation point.

Who said that holding hands is powerless



It looks like a question, but we don’t have a question mark.

We have a subject, verb and even an adjective, but I am not convinced that we have a complete idea.

Who said that holding hands is powerless



I do wish that these hip young urban artists would try out their sloganeering prior to getting out into the streets to create their intertextual self-reflexive hyperstylistic post-structural syntaxtically illiterate counter-cultural mash-ups.

I mean really. Every day I wait that that bus stop and every day I wonder what on Earth it is that they are on about. It’s caused me no end of grief.

On that note, I present today’s Sunday Top Five! Today, I’m tackling Top Five Sentences That The New Town Banksy Might Have Used Instead Of Who said that holding hands is powerless!

  • Holding hands IS power.

  • Powerlessness is NOT holding hands.

  • Qui a dit que se tenir la main est impuissante

  • Who was it that said that holding hands is an act of the powerless?

  • I WAZ ERE

  • I hold hands, therefore I am.

2 comments:

Roddy said...

Terribly profound isn't it!

Kris said...

I thought so.