Friday, December 31, 2010

Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so.


Ampelmännchen, Ich werde auf dich warten. Campbell Straße, December 2010.

The Christmas/New Year period has derailed my reading somewhat. Who knew that so much literary graft could be achieved on public transport and during lunch breaks through the week?

That said, I'm knee deep in Gert Hofmann's Luck, and should be finished in a few days. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I think that much will depend on where he takes the tale...

3 comments:

Carola said...

Really amazing.

Kris, du und dein Ampelmännchen.

I remember that I registered in Blogger in November 2008 to comment to your first post with the Ampelmännchen.

For us Ampelmännchen is kult, too. Something positiv, left from the DDR. (It was not only in Ost-Berlin, all over East Germany).

I grew up close to the border on the west part (Zonenrandgebiet). And we were able to watch DDR TV. A figur in the childrens TV was Sandmännchen. I watched it. It is still present. Sandmännchen is giving sand in your eyes, so that you can sleep. Maybe you know.

me said...

Give me Amplemann (& Ampelfrau) over this nondescript stick figure any day.

Kris said...

Carola, Ampelmännchen has real character. I have seen snippets of Sandmännchen, he's a very odd fellow.

Me, Ampelfrau is trouble.