Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.


If I could bottle a wave… Opossum Bay, January 2011.

I sometimes wonder about people. For example, I know somebody who expends an awful lot of time and energy ‘pretending’ to do their job. They sweat at it. It seems to trouble them no end. Elaborate and exaggerated flourishes are performed to ensure that everybody around is aware that they’re ‘hard at work’.

It does seem like hard work. I think that it could well be bringing on an ulcer.

What I don’t understand is if such effort, such exertion is required, and it’s carried like a huge weight upon the shoulders, why not actually do the job?

It’s a novel thought, I know. Radical, even.

I wish that I could overcome the (mutual) embarrassment and suggest it. I suspect that truly ‘doing the job’ would be far easier than the task of ‘pretending’ to do the job.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

Well said ~ I think if I ever got used to luxury I would fear the loosing of it~ I'd fear I would loose my coping skills, my props - I would become soft and lazy and unchallenged and dare I say it boring!!
"Adelaide and Beyond'

Kris said...

Dianne, there are actually a few I see who seem to suffer from this.

Then there are those who simply no longer to bother trying to look busy.

Roddy said...

You know, I have worked with people who spend an inordinate amount of time dodging work and then spend the rest of the day telling you how hard they have done it.
Me, I have made an art of looking busy no matter how little I have to do.

Carola said...

Great photo and this titel is realy good.

Kris said...

Roddy, then you're as bad as they are!

Carola, that was Charlie Chaplin. The quote, not the photo. The photo is mine.