Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.


Millions of snakes, or more sinister? Eaglehawk Neck, Tasman Penninsula. January 2011.

I have had a song stuck in my head for five straight days now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good song, but five days on constant rotation is a bit much. Anyway, I have this theory that if I look into the story behind the song, and potentially infect others with the virus, it will leave me alone.

Here goes…

If I Fell is a song by The Beatles that first appeared in the 1964. It was featured in the film A Hard Day's Night, and appeared on the accompanying soundtrack. Although it seems that John Lennon alone wrote it, it was credited to the Lennon/McCartney partnership.

The song itself has an atypical structure for an early (-ish) Beatles track, with an unrepeated introduction sang by Lennon, followed by sequential verse sections, each having a slightly expanded form, but with no obvious chorus or bridge section.

As ever, the song features a two-part harmony – Lennon and McCartney into a single microphone – with McCartney's voice seemingly struggling towards the end under the strain of dozens of young lovelies chasing him about. I like the effect though, and the pleasant imperfection is duly repeated within my ear worm.

Now, treat yourself and let me know if it gets stuck in your head!

4 comments:

Roddy said...

Having listened to that song at least Two hundred times, and that's just the first week, I notice nothing out of the ordinary.
It is a Beatles song and so, perfect.
As for your sand, how about tidal drift?
A lot of sea snakes if not.

Kris said...

It's a good track.

Sue said...

I was at a pub in St Kilda the other night, listening to Billy Miller (ex-Ferrets) playing and he did this song in his repertoire. I love it.
He did many other Beatles songs amongst it all. He did them very well.
I particularly liked his version of "I am the Walrus".

Kris said...

Those poor Ferrets.