Skip to main content

The fundamental concept in social science is Power, in the same sense in which Energy is the fundamental concept in physics.


Dude looks like a cabbage. Sandy Bay, April 2011.

I’ve not idea what this plant is, but I think I like it.

I was going to write a poem today about Tasmania, but I couldn’t find a good enough rhyme for “deindustrialisation”.

I was also going to look into Buddhism, but all that cycling of suffering, death and rebirth gets me down.

It’s been raining for four days and I am starting to get sick of it.

Comments

Hi! Kris...
The photograph is..."beautiful!

Kris said,"I was going to write a poem today about Tasmania, but I couldn’t find a good enough rhyme for “deindustrialisation”...
LOL!

Let hope that it doesn't rain for 40 days and 40 night!

The quote is very intellectual? scientific? Nice quote!
Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D
-K- said…
Four days of rain? That happens once every few years here in LA, where this kind of plant is quite common. There are some growing in the courtyard of this apartment, as a matter of fact.
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, that's Mr bertrand Russell...

-K-, no rain at the moment. There are plenty of grey clouds though...
Roddy said…
It is a succulent of the cacti family. My grandfather grew virtually thousands of them when we were kids.
How about Sanitisation? Perhaps that isn't a word but it rhymes with what they are doing to our state.
Kris McCracken said…
That doesn't rhyme.
Roddy said…
Deindustrialiation.
Sanit i satition.
It rhymes to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary