Skip to main content

Equality may perhaps be a right, but no power on earth can ever turn it into a fact.


It's raining again. Princes Street, Sandy Bay. October 2011.

Yes, we know that that Internet is a wonderful place filled with all the rich and varied treasures that the world holds (as well a videos of fellows and horses in uncomfortable poses). The following are some things that I've had a look at in the last few week. I call this: a Compendium of Click-throughs for Monday Morning...

  • The ever-reliable Ben Goldacre explains why so much of what is reported in the mainstream media on "science" is rubbish...

  • A website full of pictures of women looking dissatisfied in bed...

  • A listening party from NPR with three members of Wilco to discuss their (magnificent) new album...

  • A fantastic article on my favourite vegetable from the Smithsonian magazine, How the Potato Changed the World...

  • Four charts that explain what Wall Street protesters are angry about...

  • A great interview from The Guardian with Jarvis Cocker about the state of music today. I agree with his comment, "Music's changed in that way. People still listen to it, but it's not as central, it's more like a scented candle. It sets the mood."

  • ‎"...The largest scientific research study of its kind, analysing the relationship between multiple categories of childhood trauma (ACEs), and health and behavioral outcomes later in life”.
  • Comments

    Vince said…
    Nice one Krispy.

    The line from the Pulp guy is a pretty good one actually. I probably agree too.

    Not quite totally related, but anyway: friends have asked me to sing at the wedding on a beach in the New Year. The bride-to-be loves the song "The Blower's Daughter" and I will be singing that as she walks down the "aisle-beach". It's a classic example of how music sets the mood (and the lyrics become not as important)
    Kris McCracken said…
    Vince! Good to hear from you. I agree with you and Jarvis.

    You might have to amend that last line though...

    Popular posts from this blog

    Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

    Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

    Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

    Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

    Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

    No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary