Skip to main content

A lion is made up of the lambs he's digested, and I've been reading all my life.


The bus won't be far away now. Hobart GPO, Elizabeth Street. October 2011.

Just the one book finished this week, although that was enough to push me past my nominated 85 book challenge at the beginning of the year (more on that later).

This week it was Doris Lessing's The Fifth Child. Billed as a "contemporary gothic horror", it centres on the unravelling of a serene family-life upon the arrival of their fifth child.

I'm not sure about this book. I think that I can grasp the key themes: modern society's drift from its more brutal past, the notion of a maternal bond, the authoritarian character and the thin veneer of civility. I'm just not convinced of the characters. I'm not sure how I'm to feel about the characters, and hope that the sympathy I felt for the 'monster' at the centre of the piece is a fair result.

Nonetheless, it is a decent read and can be recommended. I'd avoid it if you're expecting a baby any time soon though...

Comments

Roddy said…
I am always in awe of the workmanship that went into the buildings of yesteryear. Somehow it looks so perfect.
Leovi said…
Gorgeous blue sky with clouds and a great perspective. Nice photo.
Mrsupole said…
Well since you mentioned monsters, can you see the one to the right of the clock tower? I swear I can even see the mouth full of teeth. Just ask anyone else if they see it. I am not sure if you meant to put it in there because of the book or if you just clicked and it is there because of the book. Just a scary thought.

God bless.
Roddy said…
Cloud people I see! Or are they cloud monsters?
Kris McCracken said…
Roddy, it needs a clean.

Leovi, I was waiting for the bus home.

Mrsupole, monsters surround us each and every day!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary