Saturday, April 07, 2012

Say what is freely yours and you shall have it.


Big sky. Long Beach, Sandy Bay. April 2020.

In my opinion, Easter Saturday is the most pointless and disappointing of all holidays...

Dialogue on the Headland, Robert Graves

SHE: You'll not forget these rocks and what I told you?
HE: How could I? Never: whatever happens.
SHE: What do you think might happen?
Might you fall out of love? - did you mean that?
HE: Never, never! 'Whatever' was a sop
For jealous listeners in the shadows.
SHE: You haven't answered me. I asked:
'What do you think might happen?'
HE: Whatever happens: though the skies should fall
Raining their larks and vultures in our laps -
SHE: 'Though the sea turn to slime' -say that -
'Though water-snakes be hatched with six heads.'
HE: Though the seas turn to slime, or tower
In an arching wave above us, three miles high -
SHE: 'Though she should break with you' - dare you say that? -
'Though she deny her words on oath.'
HE: I had that in my mind to say, or nearly;
It hurt so much I choked it back.
SHE: How many other days can't you forget?
How many other loves and landscapes?
HE: You are jealous?
SHE: Damnably.
HE: The past is past.
SHE: And this?
HE: Whatever happens, this goes on.
SHE: Without a future? Sweetheart, tell me now:
What do you want of me? I must know that.
HE: Nothing that isn't freely mine already.
SHE: Say what is freely yours and you shall have it.
HE: Nothing that, loving you, I should dare take.
SHE: O, for an answer with no 'nothing' in it!
HE: Then give me everything that's left.
SHE: Left after what?
HE: After whatever happens:
Skies have already fallen, seas are slime,
Watersnakes poke and peer six-headedly -
SHE: And I lie snugly in the Devil's arms.
HE: I said: 'Whatever happens.' Are you crying?
SHE: You'll not forget me - ever, ever, ever?

2 comments:

Sue said...

I agree. It is a Clayton's holiday. The holiday you have when you aren't really having a holiday. Everything is open except everything I need. Make your mind up businesses. All of you shut...or none. Bah! Humbug!

Carola said...

Awesome sky!