It's time. The living room, Geilston Bay. July 2012.
Sunday Top Five time and today I venture into what I am told is controversial territory (it generally isn't in the circles I frequent): My Top Five List Of The Most Stupid Arguments Against Same Sex Marriage!
- Marriage has been this way for thousands of years, so why change it now? Yes, in much the same way that we’ve not accepted change in the area of equal rights for women or property rights for slaveholders, institutions never change.
- Heterosexual marriages are valid because they are primarily about furthering the species (i.e. producing children). Yes, much like the laws that we have around forbidding infertile couples from wedding and the compulsory divorces once menopause kicks in.
- The Bible doesn’t allow it. In the same way as we don’t allow bowl cuts (Leviticus 19:27, "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads); tattoos (Leviticus 19:28, "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."); polyester (Leviticus 19:19, "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together"); and eating lobsters (Leviticus 11:10 reads, "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you"), it would be a terrible affront to break that rule…
- Gay marriage undermines traditional marriage. Oddly enough, we’re doing a reasonable job of that without the gays getting in on the act. I struggle to understand why, with straight couples seemingly less interested in getting (and staying) married than ever before, why proponents of marriage want to be locking people who really want to be in the club out.
- Same-sex parents will raise gay (or problematic) children, for want of duel gender role models. This one is obvious, in the same way that straight parents only raise straight, wholesome and adjusted children. That can also be extended to single parents.