Tuesday, August 21, 2012
As great minds have the faculty of saying a great deal in a few words, so lesser minds have a talent of talking much, and saying nothing.
ACHTUNG! East Derwent Highway, Lindisfarne. July 2012.
I'm in Launceston today (should be getting my speech notes finished up about now), but that won't stop the Q and A. Yet again, it is filched from Sunday Stealing,the The Authentic Meme. This week, with a picture!
1. How long have you been blogging?
Over six long years.
2. Did you go to college?
I went to college and university!
3. Where have you travelled?
A lot less places than I would like to! Look up last week’s response and will get an idea...
4. Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
I am rarely mistaken for anybody these days, but in my time I have had references to (one-time) Australian quick Brendan Julian; a young Jeff Goldblum; Scott Baio (there is a story to that one); and the bass player from Blur.
5. What are your three biggest pet peeves?
Wilful ignorance, a lack of integrity and intellectual snobbery.
6. What is your favourite movie?
I shall cheat a little bit and say Krzysztof Kieślowski's Dekalog.
7. What is your drink of choice; wine, beer, or liquor. Or Water, Soda, Tea?
Of those, water.
8. What is something you enjoy to do when you have me time?
Caress my wife. Lay in the sun. Go for a stroll. Those sorts of things.
9. What is your biggest phobia?
I don’t have any irrational fears. That doesn’t mean that I don’t fear things, but they are all exist within a ‘normal’ framework of risk assessment.
10. Share with us an embarrassing moment of your past?
Generally anything involving girls and alcohol would qualify.
11. What day would you love to relive again?
June 2, 2001.
Because it was very pleasant.
12. If your life was turned into a movie… what actor would your best friend think should play you?
You should ask them. One of Brendan Julian, a young Jeff Goldblum, Scott Baio or the bass player from Blur.
13. What are the jobs you had in high school/ college/ the early years?
They would be the 'incredibly shitty jobs'. To differentiate them from every other shitty job I've had since...
14. Show us a picture from high school or college.
There are hardly any in existence, unfortunately. Pre-digital cameras and mobile phones, it seemed incredibly easy to go years between photographs. Here's one from my second year of uni:
15. If you could travel anywhere in the world, all expenses paid, where would you go?
I'd catch a train from Vienna to Vladivostok, with plenty of stops along the way.
16. Where do you see your life 6 and 1/2 years from now?
Hopefully one which is significantly less frustrating.
17. If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be and why?
24 was a good age. No strings, sky the limit, looked good, felt good. Playstation 2. PhD scholarship. Good times.
18. What 5 songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
Let's presume that it will be merely the first of a trilogy, the 'early years' would have to include Plastic Bertrand's Ca Plane Pour Moi, Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse Of The Heart, U2's Promenade, R.E.M.'s Half A World Away and Morrissey's Used to be a sweet boy. The film would end in 1994 and be very slow, quite dull and incredibly melancholic. Lots of long tracking shots featuring a disconsolate teen gazing across bodies of water.
19. Romney picked Paul Ryan to run as his veep. Any thoughts?
Aside from a great pity for US voters? Not really. Your system is broken.