Beach life. Howrah Beach, Hobart. October 2012.
My Top Five Things I've Been Trying That You Really Need To Start Doing for Yourself!
- Be honest with yourself. What is right for you? What needs to be changed? Be honest about with every aspect of your life. Once you do, you will have a better understanding of where you are and how you got there, and you will be better able to identify where you want to go and how to get there.
- Learn the lessons your mistakes can teach. Mistakes are natural. If you’re not failing, you’re not trying and you can’t be learning.
- Start enjoying the things you have. The problem for many is ‘happiness’ seems to be the next few steps away. They spend a lot of time thinking about how great it will be once they ‘get there’. Yet when they get there, it’s more than likely that they’ll have a new destination in mind. The trap is that you spend your whole life working toward something without ever stopping to enjoy the things you have. Don’t make that mistake.
- Less than perfect is fine. ‘Perfect’ is the enemy of ‘good.’ Sometimes it’s better to accept and appreciate the world as it is, and people as they are, rather than to trying to make everything and everyone conform to an ideal that isn’t possible. Now, this isn’t an endorsement of mediocrity, but just because things are less than perfect should not mean unhappiness.
- Concentrate on things you can control. – You can’t change a lot of things, but you can always change something. Wasting time and energy on things are beyond your control is a recipe for frustration. Invest your efforts in the things you can control, and just get on with it!