Skip to main content

Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.


Domestic violence as comedy. Hobart Spring Festival, Royal Botanical Gardens, October 2012.

Sunday Stealing: Who Are you? Part 2–The Grown Up Meme

15. How would you describe your childhood in general?

Reasonably unnoteworthy.

16. What is your earliest memory?

Kevin Bartlett’s final goal in the 1980 VFL Grand Final.

17. How much schooling have you had?

Too much! Primary School. High School. College. University. On and on it went…

18. Did you enjoy school?

I enjoyed the first few years. Loathed the middle part, and enjoyed the last year of college on.

19. Stop and count, Since you were born until today; how many homes have you lived in?

That I know about: eight.

20. While growing up, did you have any role models?

I’m sure that I did, but I am not certain that I realised at the time.

21. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?

We have had our ups and downs. Being the youngest comes with its own set of challenges.

22. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to open the bat for Australia (and bowl a bit of part-time off spin), play centre-half back for Essendon, be in a successful (artistically as well as financially) rock band and maybe write an internationally-acclaimed novel or two. I had low expectations.

23. What were your favourite activities 3 years ago?

Reading, sleeping and taking photos.

24. As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?

Stubbornness, frustration and anger.

25. As a child, were you popular?

Not especially so.

26. When and with whom was your first kiss?

I can honestly say that I don’t remember. There is a ‘first kiss’ that I do remember, but I am reasonably certain that it was not the ‘first kiss’.

27. Describe any influences in your past that led you to do the things you do today.

Where does one start. EVERYTHING about one’s past influences the way that we do things today.

28. What’s next?

Back on the chain gang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut