Tuesday, December 11, 2012
If we do not maintain justice, justice will not maintain us.
Ezra's legs. Bellerive Bluff, Bellerive. November 2012.
Sunday Stealing: Have You’s and What If’s!
1. Have you anything to confess today?
Not really. Perhaps I could admit to doing the vast bulk of my Christmas shopping online.
2. Have you ever broken a law? If so, what was it?
Well, I expect that most people do more than they care to admit, be it in relation to road rules, use of varied substances, copyright infringement, unregulated gambling, taxation or some form of sexual practices. I'm surprisingly law-abiding myself.
3. Have you ever committed an act of betrayal against a friend or family member?
Betrayal. That’s a bit dramatic. I don’t think so. I always try to conduct myself openly and honestly, so if they’ve ever felt ‘betrayed’ that would more be about them than I.
4. Has someone else done something that, to this day, makes you cringe when you think about them committing the act?
This happens all the time. I find a lot of the time I’m scratching my head wondering why on Earth people have decided to pursue one particular course of action or other.
5. Have you ever found yourself sexually aroused by someone that you absolutely should not have been?
Of course I have. I am merely a man, don’t forget!
6. Have you ever cheated at school? How so?
The only time I ever really cheated in my school years was in not being honest with myself, or not making an honest effort. In effect, I think that I wasted a few years cheating myself.
7. What if you came across a backpack stuffed with one hundred thousand dollars. Would you keep it?
I would be mightily tempted. That said, if we’re talking that amount of money just laying around, the wisest course of action would be to take it to the authorities.
8. If you were the most powerful person in the world, how would you use that power?
I do believe that I would try and get people to work together a little better and embrace the concept of “justice as fairness” in terms of resolving problems.
9. What if you found a magic lamp?
I’d start rubbing straight away!
10. If you could change one thing about the world, what would that one thing be?
I’d make sure that people had a greater capacity for honest reflection.
11. If you could take one thing back, what would that one thing be?
I’d alter a moment of indecision with a moment of decisiveness.
12. What if you were stuck on an island forever but had all the water, food and shelter you needed. What would you do?
Make myself comfortable.
13. What if the Internet didn't exist?
I’d feel intellectually constrained.
14. What if you never started blogging?
Life would have gone on.
15. What are your November 22 Thanksgiving plans?
I met with the auditor that day...