Tree. St Davids Park, Hobart. December 2012.
Sunday Top Five?
So, at the end of last year I set myself to goal of knocking over 75 books this year. Thus far, I've knocked over 104 and am hoping to get through a few more before the year is out. Which leads me to...
- Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck
- The Painter of Signs, R.K. Narayan
- Tortilla Flat, John Steinbeck
- Cannery Row, John Steinbeck
- The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes
- Property, Valerie Martin
- The Glass Canoe, David Ireland
- Bring Larks And Heroes, Thomas Keneally
- Life and Fate, Vasily Grossman
- The Lost Thoughts Of Soldiers, Delia Falconer
An interesting mix, to be sure. Three Steinbeck novels, three from Australians, an Indian love story, Barnes' mediation on memory, an exploration of gender and slavery and a lost Soviet classic.
If I had to pick one? Tricky. Very tricky.
Gun to my head, I'll go with The Glass Canoe...