Tuesday, December 25, 2012
There's nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child..
Jen leads Ezra a merry dance. Opossum Bay, South Arm Peninsula. December 2012.
A very special Christmas Day Sunday Stealing: The Not So Manly Meme
1. Boxers? Briefs? Boxer briefs? Thongs? Bikinis? Commando?
I'm on holidays, which means commando!
2. What’s your fussiest personal care routine?
I can't say that I have one. Shaving is always a chore, but having a beard is worse.
3. Do you have a favourite tool? Power or manual?
A computer. It uses power.
4. Can you change your own oil? Do you?
I cook in fresh oil every time. That's what you mean, isn't it?
5. What’s the “manliest / womanliest” thing you do on a regular basis?
Manliest? I get a slightly contemptuous feeling any time shows an undue level of emotion. 'Womanliest'? Do you mean 'effeminate'? I'm very clean and I like to cook.
6. What’s something “manly” that you never learned how to do?
Drive a car. Or even be even remotely interested in cars in any way.
7. Do you ever cry? If so, what’s your trigger?
Unfortunately it's not an art I've mastered. A really good book might be able to trigger a solitary tear every couple of years.
8. Do you have a chivalrous streak? How does it manifest itself?
I have lots of old fashioned manners that reveal themselves: waiting for others to begin eating, serving everybody else first, opening doors for ladies, not bashing them. That sort of thing.
9. Do you have a chauvinistic streak? How does it manifest itself?
I don't have a patriotic bone in my body. I find the whole notion of flags and anthems embarrassing. However, I suspect that this question was angling towards male chauvinism. I don't think so. I don't believe that men are superior to women (or vice versa). I suspect that the closest is when the first part of question 5 rears its head.
10. What’s your favourite movie?
I like Kieślowski's Dekalog, but it's not really a movie. If you're asking that, one of Three Colours: Red, The Life of Brian or Das Boot. I really enjoyed The Thin Red Line, too.
11. What’s the dumbest, testosterone-inspired thing you’ve ever seen?
Anything involving a dickhead in a car.
12. What quality do you think makes a good man good? Do you have that quality?
The same quality as makes a person good: thinking of others, getting on with it, pulling one's weight etc...
13. Toilet seat up or down?
14. If your significant other is away, do you cook for yourself or eat out of cans and boxes (or rely on local drive-through and delivery)?
HA! I like to cook.
15. What societal expectation of being a man / women do you most resent?
That caring for one's children is somehow worthy of extra commendation.
16. What’s the best part - societal-wise - about being a man / women?
It seems to be slightly more acceptable to not care what anyone else thinks about you.
17. Will you stop to ask for directions?
If I need directions.
18. What’s one thing about your significant other that you just cannot understand, no matter how hard you try?
Why she seems to care so much why people she otherwise has little time for think about her.
19. What do you need to have in the shower?
Soap. Shampoo. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
20. Do you burp/fart/scratch? Do you do anything stereotypically male?
I do all of these things, but try to do so with some discretion. Forgive me for thinking that ALL people do this.