Collecting jellyfish. Denison Beach, Tasmania's East Coast. January 2013.
With regards to these jellyfish (above), the lads and I assumed a peacekeeping mission to fish these stinging beasts of the deep out and lock up in a specially designed Jellyfish Maximum Security Prison! Indeed, once we received orders to cease activities, we'd detained at least forty of the beasties. It was all to nowt though, as it seems that the East Australian Current - which you might know from Finding Nemo - shifts warm water from the tropical Coral Sea right down to the Tasman Sea, all the while depositing creatures of all shapes and sizes well out of their element. That is, the water here in Tasmania was far too cold for these jellyfish, and they were all dead by the next day (as confirmed by the amount of dead jellies littering the sea floor seen on our snorkelling expedition the following day).
Anyway, to the Q and A! Again, I've pilfered it from Sunday Stealing: The Meme From Suburbia.
1. What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was at University juggling a reasonably heavy teaching load, editing a book and trying to write a PhD. Look how that turned out!
2. By this time next year, I ...
Might be snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.
3. Do you think the United States will elect a female President in your lifetime? Do you think this would be a good thing?
Probably. While I’d welcome the event, one should think that we know better than to think that such symbolic events won’t do much in and of itself to address the deficits in that particular political system.
4. Which fictional, TV show character you would shag anytime?
5. Who is your greatest enemy?
6. Tell me about your most recent trip of more than
It was probably our trip up to Bicheno last month.
7. Which do you use more often, the dictionary or the thesaurus?
They generally go hand in hand. I use both quite regularly.
8. Do you have a nickname? What is it?
I’m not sure that I have a nickname anymore. Or perhaps if I do, no-one is prepared to share it with me!
9. What are you dreading at the moment?
Little, to be frank. Things are travelling on quite nicely at the moment.
10. Do you worry that others will judge you from reading some of your answers?
Not a jot!
11. If you find an outfit you love, but the size on the label is larger than you want, do you buy the outfit? Why or why not?
I used to, but I had developed some bad habits food and weight-wise, and am now more confident and comfortable to wear right on the correct size without worrying about it not fitting.
12. Even the biggest slackers are anal-retentive about something? What are you anal-retentive about?
Children not messing about when eating dinner. Fair dinkum, they can make a hell of a mess and noise at that time of the day.
13. Out of all the books you read as a child, which one had the biggest influence on how you are today?
That’s an awfully big question. For one, I read a LOT of books, so narrowing something down to one is impossible. That said, reading a lot exposes you to a lot, and whether it is Judy Blume, Harper Lee or Jack London, I’d like to think that these books helped shaped my attitudes to things like respect, duty, manners, empathy etc.
14. Which Golden Girl would you want to spend a night on the town with?
It would have to be Blanche, wouldn’t it?
15. What is the one product you would never buy in its generic form even if the generic is half the price?
Good question. I’m not sure. I am pretty brand loyal when it comes to things like toothpaste/ toothbrushes etc.
16. How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa?
I can’t recall ever believing in Santa. I had a very cruel older brother, you see.
17. What is the one smell that turns your stomach without fail?
Severe body odour stands out. As does the smell of putrefying flesh.
18. If someone holds out a carton of milk to you and asks you to sniff it to see if its spoiled, do you?
I always get given this job. I do at home and I do at work. I suspect that this means I must have a strong enough stomach to cope with the job.
19. You have a completely free day and $2,000.00, What are you doing?
It looks like I will be buying presents!
20. What is the most used item in your home?
It is probably our kettle. If not that, than our wireless router.