Skip to main content

Anger is like those ruins which smash themselves on what they fall.


Collecting jellyfish. Denison Beach, Tasmania's East Coast. January 2013.

With regards to these jellyfish (above), the lads and I assumed a peacekeeping mission to fish these stinging beasts of the deep out and lock up in a specially designed Jellyfish Maximum Security Prison! Indeed, once we received orders to cease activities, we'd detained at least forty of the beasties. It was all to nowt though, as it seems that the East Australian Current - which you might know from Finding Nemo - shifts warm water from the tropical Coral Sea right down to the Tasman Sea, all the while depositing creatures of all shapes and sizes well out of their element. That is, the water here in Tasmania was far too cold for these jellyfish, and they were all dead by the next day (as confirmed by the amount of dead jellies littering the sea floor seen on our snorkelling expedition the following day).

Anyway, to the Q and A! Again, I've pilfered it from Sunday Stealing: The Meme From Suburbia.

1. What were you doing 10 years ago?

I was at University juggling a reasonably heavy teaching load, editing a book and trying to write a PhD. Look how that turned out!

2. By this time next year, I ...

Might be snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.

3. Do you think the United States will elect a female President in your lifetime? Do you think this would be a good thing?

Probably. While I’d welcome the event, one should think that we know better than to think that such symbolic events won’t do much in and of itself to address the deficits in that particular political system.

4. Which fictional, TV show character you would shag anytime?

Betty Rubble.

5. Who is your greatest enemy?

Ego.

6. Tell me about your most recent trip of more than 100 miles 160 kilometres?

It was probably our trip up to Bicheno last month.

7. Which do you use more often, the dictionary or the thesaurus?

They generally go hand in hand. I use both quite regularly.

8. Do you have a nickname? What is it?

I’m not sure that I have a nickname anymore. Or perhaps if I do, no-one is prepared to share it with me!

9. What are you dreading at the moment?

Little, to be frank. Things are travelling on quite nicely at the moment.

10. Do you worry that others will judge you from reading some of your answers?

Not a jot!

11. If you find an outfit you love, but the size on the label is larger than you want, do you buy the outfit? Why or why not?

I used to, but I had developed some bad habits food and weight-wise, and am now more confident and comfortable to wear right on the correct size without worrying about it not fitting.

12. Even the biggest slackers are anal-retentive about something? What are you anal-retentive about?

Children not messing about when eating dinner. Fair dinkum, they can make a hell of a mess and noise at that time of the day.

13. Out of all the books you read as a child, which one had the biggest influence on how you are today?

That’s an awfully big question. For one, I read a LOT of books, so narrowing something down to one is impossible. That said, reading a lot exposes you to a lot, and whether it is Judy Blume, Harper Lee or Jack London, I’d like to think that these books helped shaped my attitudes to things like respect, duty, manners, empathy etc.

14. Which Golden Girl would you want to spend a night on the town with?

It would have to be Blanche, wouldn’t it?

15. What is the one product you would never buy in its generic form even if the generic is half the price?

Good question. I’m not sure. I am pretty brand loyal when it comes to things like toothpaste/ toothbrushes etc.

16. How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa?

I can’t recall ever believing in Santa. I had a very cruel older brother, you see.

17. What is the one smell that turns your stomach without fail?

Severe body odour stands out. As does the smell of putrefying flesh.

18. If someone holds out a carton of milk to you and asks you to sniff it to see if its spoiled, do you?

I always get given this job. I do at home and I do at work. I suspect that this means I must have a strong enough stomach to cope with the job.

19. You have a completely free day and $2,000.00, What are you doing?

It looks like I will be buying presents!

20. What is the most used item in your home?

It is probably our kettle. If not that, than our wireless router.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut