Tuesday, April 02, 2013
Courage easily finds its own eloquence.
Pretty beetle. Douglas-Apsley National Park, Tasmania's East Coast. January 2013.
Q and A time! Sunday Stealing: The 5000 Question Meme, Part Two
26. Who has done something today to show they care about you?
Ezra and Henry have been very good boys (thus far).
27. Do you have a lot to learn?
We all have much to learn...
28. If you could learn how to do three things just by wishing and not by working what would they be?
1) To learn a bunch of new languages (German, Russian, French, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin). 2) To be able to understand and explain the entire range of geological history. 3) To learn the full scope of the world's flora and fauna.
29. Which do you remember the longest: what other people say, what other people do or how other people make you feel?
I'd like to think that I remember the action itself, but I suspect that what really solidifies itself in my mind is how the action made me feel.
30. What are the key ingredients to having a good relationship?
Respect, transparency and a thick skin.
31. What 3 things do you want to do before you die?
Relax, look around and generally have a good time.
32. What three things would you want to die to avoid doing?
I'm not certain that anything is worth dying to avoid doing. Dying is a rather extreme avoidance technique!
33. Is there a cause you believe in more than any other cause?
Is being true to one's self a cause?
34. What does each decade make you think of:
1970s = pre-history, 1980s = childhood/ nuclear armageddon, 1990s = change, 2000s = liberation.
35. Which decade do you feel the most special connection to and why?
The 1990s had its moments, but I think that I liked the 2000s more.
36. What is your favourite oldie/classic rock song?
I've got far too many to count. Off the top of my head The Spencer Davis Group's Gimme Some Lovin' is a hard one to beat.
37. What country do you live in and who is the leader of that country?
Australia. Leader? That's an interesting concept. We have a Prime Minister, but technically the Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms is our leader.
??. If you could say any sentence to the current leader of your country what would it be?
The Queen or the Prime Minister? Either way, probably something like "time to go now..."
38. What's your favourite TV channel to watch in the middle of the night?
Believe it or not, I don't watch TV. The Internet has done away with that hoary old thing! So if I'm at a loss in the middle of the night, I get online.
39. What Disney villain are you the most like and why?
Maybe Shere Khan. Neither of us likes people very much.
40. Have you ever been a girl scout/boy scout?
No. I suspect that I might have enjoyed it in retrospect though.
41. If you were traveling to another continent would you rather fly or take a boat?
If I could afford it, I'd take a small boat!
42. Why is the sky blue during the day and black at night?
A) Daytime: because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. B) It looks black to us because there is not enough light to stimulate the color-sensitive cones in our eyes.
43. What does your name mean?
Kristen is a first name, and generally understood to be the Breton, Danish or Norwegian form of Christian. It is a male name in Scandinavia, but bad luck would have it that about the very same time my parents thought that it would be a good name for their baby, a hell of a lot of Americans decided that they liked the look of it for their little girls.
44. Would you rather explore the deeps of the ocean or outer space?
45. What is the first word that comes to mind when you see the word:
46. If you could meet any person in the world who is dead who would you want it to be?
I'd find Stalin interesting to quiz.
47. What if you could meet anyone who is alive?
They say Bill Clinton always entertains.
48. Is there a movie that you love so much you could watch it everyday?
49. You are going to be stuck alone in an elevator for a week. What do you bring to do?
A stack of books and something to go to the toilet in. Water and a little food would also be useful.
50. Have you ever saved someone's life or had your life saved?
Perhaps I've helped steer someone in a better direction. My life saved? Not that I know of.