Hormosira banksii, a.k.a. Neptune's necklace. Flowerpot Point, Blackmans Bay. May 2013.
As you know, the Internet is a wonderful place filled with the rich and varied treasures of the world holds (and RSS feeds.) The following are some things that I've had a look at in the last week. I call this: a Compendium of Click-throughs for Monday Morning...
- Would you want to be friends with Humbert Humbert? An article on the importance of “likeability” in novels.
- A selection from the 2013 National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
- Syphilis, sex and fear: How the French disease conquered the world.
- Splashdown! The Breeders' Cannonball-Like Re-Entry.
- A compelling case against empathy, arguing that empathy alone is not sufficient to uphold morality — and may even work against it.
- A map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries.
- Astronomy porn.
- The most depressing thing I've read all week. Five Warning Signs That You're Finally Getting Older.
- National flags made from a country’s traditional foods.
- Parents, Children, Libraries, and Reading.
- Apostrophe now: Bad grammar and the people who hate it.
- Are University Leaders Really Overpaid? (Answer: very much so.)
- Unusual baby name spellings: don’t do it.