Skip to main content

We die only once, and for such a long time.



Proud Gull. Boat Harbour. April 2013.

It is another Theme Thursday and today sees a burst of CREATIVITY and a shot little piece that came to me on the walk to work.

I call it Perception.

Quiet Jim was the first of the old gang to die. It came as a bit of a shock to get the invite to his funeral on Facebook. There were five in our gang: me; Quiet Jim (he was the quiet one); Loud Jim (he was the loud one); Big Jim (he was the fat one); and Little Jim (he wasn't very little, but he was much smaller than Big Jim). They just called me ‘Mike’.

It was a surprise to all of us that Quiet Jim was the first to go. He was so, well, quiet. Loud Jim drank too much, got into fights and generally wasn't a very nice person.Big Jim’s diet was terrible, he smoked like a chimney and the mere thought of exercise could send him into apoplexy. Little Jim (who really wasn't little at all) had a taste for bizarre sexual practices. I’m pretty laid back, but as an avid trainspotter am always running the risk when waiting by the railway lines.

No, Quiet Jim was, well, quiet. He never got in any trouble and kept his opinions to himself. He didn't smoke or drink. Nor was there any suggestion that he was into Autoerotic asphyxiation. He didn't even like trains.

Quiet Jim was a great listener. He was measured. Mature. Stoic. Everybody liked Quiet Jim. Therefore it was no surprise that there was a big turnout to the funeral. There were lots of tears and lots of kind words. His friends stressed his bravery. His brother spoke of the inspiration he took for him. His sister concentrated on the hurdles that he overcame. His mother spoke at length about the challenges inherent in having a child who spent his whole life in a permanent vegetative state.

Oh.

I just thought that he was shy.

I was even more shocking than the fact that he died. Then again, I have never been very perceptive.

Comments

Mrsupole said…
This is another OMG. ROFLMAO.

But I do think I have heard this story before or at least a similar one and laughed just as much. One has to be creative to take another story and make it his. And if it is your's then dang it you have a twin writer out there, maybe a doppelgänger writing partner. Lucky you if you have one, twice as many stories written by you two. Isn't life grand?

Happy TT. Hope you weekend is filled with lots of talkative people.

God bless.
Catch My Words said…
It happens to the best of us.

http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/05/theme-thursday-creativity.html
Kris McCracken said…
Vielen Dank an alle!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary