Skip to main content

Magnetism, as you recall from physics class, is a powerful force that causes certain items to be attracted to refrigerators.



Late afternoon. Looking north from Lindisfarne. June 2013.

Alas, stealing again from Sunday Stealing. Have and Q and A: The Unlucky 13 Meme

1. On average, how long does it take you to get ready for work/ school/ a day or night out?

Three minutes.


2. If you could ask your favourite author one question about the book(s) they wrote, what would it be?

I'm never that keen to spoil the mystique and step inside the sausage factory. I would be keen to ask Antony Beevor for some tales about working in the Russian archives.


3. What do you think is the hardest thing about growing up?

Ensuring that you do the right thing.


4. Who would you rather switch places with for a day: your favourite celebrity, or your favourite fictional character?

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in celebrity. Wouldn't it be more interesting to step in (I dunno) Superman or Iron Man's shoes than some neurotic actor with attachment issues?


5. Who would you rather have point out a flaw that you weren't aware you had: a close personal friend, or a total stranger?

Flaws? What is this with which you speak? How would a stranger know about it if he/ she were a stranger?


6. Do you get jealous easily? If so, what sorts of qualities or characteristics in other people are you most likely to be jealous of?

I do get envious, but not about qualities or characteristics in as much as outcomes.


7. Which version of yourself would you rather have a conversation with: the one from ten years ago, or the one you turn into ten years from now?

Ten years from now. I know what I would have said in 2003.


8. Were you ever bullied in any way as a child? If so, how has it shaped you today?

Only by my brother. I suspect that it manifests itself in an odd aggression that emerges every now and again.


9. What is one fear you would like to overcome in your lifetime?

The fear of irrelevance.


10. What is one food you haven't tried yet that you would like to?

I haven't eaten a lot of bugs. I'm told that they're not too bad.


11. Is it easier to forgive someone for the wrong they've done you or to seek forgiveness from someone that you've wronged in any way?

Seeking forgiveness is much easier than forgiving.


12. Let’s go random: What did you do for New Year’s Eve for the turn of the millennium?

I went to bed early. True story. Slept through the bugger.


13. What else around here have you noticed?

I have noticed that you're increasingly giving me the eye...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral