Skip to main content

Where does personality end and brain damage begin?




Ezra with creature. Our front yard, Geilston Bay. June 2013.

Theme Thursday for June 6, 2013 -

It's EVOLUTION in action.

Car park EVOLUTION.

Hobart is indeed well endowed with car parks. We have more car parks than you can poke a stick at. We have so many car parks, that people never stop complaining that we don’t have enough car parks.

The problem with car parks, you see, is that you build car parks and more people get a car to park.

The more people with a car to park, the more car parks we need. Then, the more car parks there are, more people get a car that they need to park.

Therefore, you build more car parks. So you build more car parks, and even more people will get a car that they need to park.

I don’t even drive a car!

But we get more car parks. Ever more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more CAR PARKS.

Supplementary car parks.

Additional car parks.

Further car parks.

Elegant car parks.

Poignant car parks.

Joyful car parks.

Crotchety car parks.

Futile car parks.

Exhausted car parks.

Embarrassed car parks.

Sad, bitter, twisted, contracted, molested, untested, rejected, elected, suspected car parks.

More and more car parks.

Every day.

Comments

Mrsupole said…
Hi Kris,

You sure do have a lot of car parks down there. Up here we are in our cars so many hours that it seems as if our car parks are when we are stopped on the freeways parked during rush hour. Californian's have a love of cars and I think they said we have more cars then kids for the average couple. I guess maybe in downtown areas they have a lot of large parking garages for the people who work and shop in those areas. Maybe we do have a lot of parking lots because so few people actually walk anywhere out here. You would be a rare person to find up here in CA.

I love the bug picture but am thankful that bug is there and not here. I like bugs that stay outside and far away from me.

Happy TT and hope you have another great weekend enjoying not having to park a car and also have fun with the boys.

God bless.
J Cosmo Newbery said…
Hobart has that many cars? Really? Things have changed since I was last down there.
Susan said…
"Too Many" is relative; on Monhegan Island a place for more than one car would be too many. The car park I most hate is the one that is supposed to be a moving turnpike, like the famous one in New Jersey. But this poem has such clever bitterness and irony that I totally enjoyed it.
Amrit Sinha said…
The cars sure enjoy their time at these parks :D

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary