Friday, July 19, 2013

Poetry is all that is worth remembering in life.


Letter. East Derwent Highway, Lindisfarne. July 2013.


The Moon is Down, John Steinbeck: Wartime propaganda at its best. By all accounts it was quite a success in occupied Europe during WWII. I can see why. The American critics hated it at the time. B-.


A Clergyman's Daughter, George Orwell: Perhaps Orwell's most lesser-known work. He apparently left instructions that after his death it was not to be reprinted. After reading it, I can see why. D.

2 comments:

smudgeon said...

I can certainly vouch for the awfulness of Orwell's tribute to brow-beaten, semi-amnesiac women.

Still, if I recall, there were some echoes of Down and Out in the middle section which weren't completely awful. All the same, it's the only Orwell I have never felt the urge to revisit ((perhaps along with Coming Up For Air).

Kris McCracken said...

It is exceptionally mediocre. I struggled to even finish it, let alone revisit!