Skip to main content

For ridding oneself of faith is like boiling seawater to retrieve the salt--something is gained but something is lost.

 


Life goes by, Brick Lane, Tower Hamlets, London. April 2018.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

White Teeth is one of those books I have meant to read for the past twenty years. Dickensian in scope, the mass of the novel seems like one very long series of digressions. Stories lead to sub-stories, which themselves sprout a seemingly infinite series of detours that – while consistent with the overarching theme of the perpetual motion of history and the lives lived within – occasional threatened to spin out of control.

Despite the sprawling narratives, Smith somehow manages to hold it all together. I feared that the entire project had run off the rails during the final chapters, as the lengthy and complicated inventory of colourful characters and plotlines seemed fit to burst. While I might quibble with a few dead ends for our cast (what becomes of the lesser Chalfens? Is that it for Hortense and Ryan?), she somehow manages to stick the landing with satisfaction.

This is a funny book with a good heart and admirable desire to probe the roots of the modern, multicultural condition. On balance I’d judge it a great success. Even at its silliest – those Chalfens really do read like The Modern Parents from the Viz comic – Smith’s optimism wins out over her ironic detachment.

In advance of penning my review, I cast my eye over the many thousands written since the novel was first published. It’s fair to say this is a book that has divided its readers. I can’t help but feel that part of this is due to the lavish praise initially heaped upon it (people prefer underdogs). For what it is worth, I liked it despite its flaws.

I’d be interested to hear where the author might take some of her characters (especially the KEVINs) post-9/11 and 7/7, and the further gentrification of London as Cool Britannia morphed into the global financial crisis, austerity Britain and the farce of Brexit. With layers upon layers upon layers, there is no shortage of material for ten more books!

 

★ ★ ★ ★


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut