Skip to main content

To appreciate nonsense requires a serious interest in life.


A noose in the Yarra? No, it's a loose mooring rope in the muddy Derwent. The heavy rains that we've had of late has meant that a lot of topsoil gets washed into the river. It doesn't seem to alter the colour out in the middle of the river (it's too deep), but in the bays and docks, it goes a nice shade of brown. The tourists hate it.

Time for the Sunday Top Five!

Today though, we have a record FOUR top fives!

MY Top Five Animals from ZooDoo:
5: the camels;
4: the Tasmanian Devils;
3: the wallaby (with joey);
2: the koala;
1: the Bengal Tiger.

JEN'S Top Five Animals From ZooDoo:
5: the koala;
4: the piglets;
3: the baby alpaca;
2: the camels;
1: the wallaby (with joey).

HENRY'S Top Five Animals from ZooDoo:
5: the Bengal Tiger;
4: the koala;
3: the merino sheep;
2: the wallaby (with joey);
1: the Brown Capuchin monkeys.

EZRA'S Top Five Animals from ZooDoo:
5: the marmosets;
4: the Red-winged Parrots;
3: the koala;
2: the baby alpaca;
1: the rabbits.

There were a few unfortunate to miss the list, not least a wide range of birds. The 'just outside' group included: Mandarin Ducks; the ostriches; the lion; the Blue Tongue Lizard; the roosters; the kangaroos.

Henry would like to note that he did not like the band of marauding emus that attacked us, or the naughty goat that knocked him over.

Comments

yamini said…
see there, Henry top choice from the Zoo reflects that he has a SOFT CORNER for the sub-continent. I am delighted to know that and plz thanks Henry personally on my behalf with a special hug.
Kris McCracken said…
Yamini, the Bengal Tiger was a magnificent-looking beast!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary