Skip to main content

Ads that I like: # 110


We are all familiar with the de rigueur image of the bon vivant bourgeois doyen of dress tossing about bon mots with élan in a blasé way to every belle and brunette that draws the eye.

Imagine the mise en scène: through the milieu you see a mélange of men in a mêlée. No, it’s not a ménage à trios, only one monsieur imagining presenting a montage of himself to some nouveau riche mademoiselles during Mardi gras.

The Frogs trade in on this cachet of style, presenting themselves fashionable entrepreneurs, using it carte blanche as they recline on the chaise longue gobbling hors d'œuvres, when in fact they are nothing more than charlatans!

Oh, I know that it is not du jour to say it, but rest assured that today’s ad is but the first in a dossier of disaster. Whether a chauffeur or a clique of chefs en route tp a club, this cliché of chez chic is a shonk!

Consider this communiqué a future concordat a coup (of sorts). Consider this a coup de grace to the empty claim of haute couture! Not so much a critique as a dénouement

So yes Frenchies: J’accuse!

Don’t be fooled! This is a faux façade, presented as a fait accompli to suckers afraid of making a faux pas or gaffe in front of others, less they be assumed gauche.

Your snide approach can’t threaten by joie de vivre, for I have a laissez-faire approach to style; a liaison that suits me fine. I might not be au fait or adroit with the ed de cologne, not avant-garde when it comes to slacks or synthetic fabrics

No, when it comes to style the French offer but a pastiche. That’s right, they’re poseurs! Protégés of fashionistic provocateurs Raconteurs extolling an empty raison d'être. In lieu of any evidence otherwise, I’ll keep going as I am, thank you very much.

Je ne regrette rien!

Comments

Bonjour! Chris...
Merci, pour les partager avec vos lecteurs...un étrange et ad très désuet ...
DeeDee ;-D
Oops! I have spelled your name incorrectly...Kris...
ahh!...your wonderful "wit" is on display.
DeeDee ;-D
Roddy said…
The height of culture. I dressed just this way, early seventies. Right down to the well kept moustache.
Kris McCracken said…
DeeDee, it is common enough...

Roddy, I remember the photos.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary