Skip to main content

Expectation is the root of all heartache.


A beautiful Spring day at the beach. Seven Mile Beach, September 2010.

Beaches are just as fine – if not better – for the photographically inclined punter in wild and woolly weather than the sun and fun. As long as you have your back to the pelting rain, you can get the odd impressive shot off now and again. Here I am looking north on Seven Mile Beach a few weeks back. The zoom has taken me maybe two-and-a-half miles,

Bereft of anything better, here is today’s eco-friendly Meme!

Do you recycle? Absolutely. One doesn’t need to chain oneself to an asthmatic lesbian Minke whale to do one’s bit.

Do you do you laundry with hot or cold water? Cold. Nappies soaking in the nappy-bucket get hot though.

What kind of light bulbs are in your house? Pass. They’re little ones.

Do you compost? We have a very small compost bin. It fills up very quickly.

What kind of vehicle do you drive? I don’t.

Do you use plastic or reusable bags when grocery shopping? When we still went to the shops, we took re-usable bags. Now we get the groceries delivered, they give us plastic bags. We don’t need bags!

What are three ways you conserve energy?
  • Keeping the lights down to the minimum, and shouting at children for leaving them on.

  • Utilising Hobart’s excellent fine okay burgeoning current public transport network.

  • Keeping our consumption down more generally. You don’t need to be buying more and more ‘stuff’. Get something, and make it last, that’s my motto.

Comments

Carola said…
That's a surprise, I didn't know that Aussies are so eco-friendly.
Many things I do the same. But I wash with 30 degree warm water, put the compost in a special green bin and carry our groceries in a big backpack (my husband does).
Kris McCracken said…
Carola, Australians have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the environment. We waste far too much, and use too much energy; but we do try to recycle and have advanced when it comes to protecting common spaces.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary