Skip to main content

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.


The blue flower. Royal Botanical Gardens, Hobart. October 2011.

Sunday Top Five?

Okay, and easy one: Five Things That Small Children Are Extremely Good At.

  • Noise. My oh my are they good at making noise...

  • Whining. There are days where any topic becomes subject to the whine. Henry is a master of whining. He can even whine a "thank you".

  • Stickiness. My theory is that it must seep through the pores. Honestly, you can not have any sugar in the house, but let them loose on your computer and you can be guaranteed of stickiness.

  • Mess. Three books and a ball. A three year old can some make three books and a ball look like Beruit circa 1983.

  • Fussiness. Have you ever been told that your mash potatoes are "too spicy"? Ihave. Yes, potatoes, a pinch of salt and knob of butter is "too spicy". Hell, at times I've been told that a glass of plain milk is "too spicy".
  • Comments

    Children can really exasperate.My top five about yours:
    - Noise. When my 2 children are sleeping, I have to lower the volume on the TV, because it is too high, the noise they made.
    - Whining. The eldest, who is 4 years, let us not sleep one night in a row until he was 2 years. The youngest of 14 months, takes the same way.
    - Stickiness. I think my toddler drink at least 5 liters of water, because I don't understand the amount of drool coming out of his mouth.
    - Mess. Luckily, they tidy up after play, but meanwhile, looks like a battlefield.
    - Fussiness. With older, I it is the same.
    Roddy said…
    I like my blue irises when they come into flower.
    Children are children and one day they may have their own, then they will know what you went through.
    Having five brothers and sisters I had an insight to the dramas of childhood.
    Accept it for what it is as it will soon pass.
    Then it becomes fond memories.
    I know!
    Sue said…
    Roddy dearest...if you remember correctly, you, Ian and I were perfect...it was only the last three who were boors!
    Kris...he does speak the truth with the rest. It does pass. Not as quickly as you would like at times...but it does pass. And you will remember it with more fondness than you may feel now!
    Kris McCracken said…
    MDP, sounds familiar. We don't even bother with the TV when they are asleep. Too tired!

    Roddy, quite.

    Sue, are you suggesting that I eat them?
    Sue said…
    They are quite filling if you smother them in jam.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Lost inside an adorable illusion and I cannot hide, I'm the one you're using, please don't push me aside, we could've made it cruising, yeah.

    Yes it is Theme Thusday again, and today we are talking GLASS . I've three possible hooks to hang my [glass] hat on with this theme. First, the photo! Yes, it is the river again from an odd angle in an interesting light. You can just make out the bottom, which should tell you that I'm right on the shore. In some ways, the distortion of the stones below the surface reminds me of ye olde glass windows, what they call "cylinder blown sheet glass". You can still find some of this around Hobart these days. Thw second link comes from a trip I took to Venice a few years back. You're probably aware that Venice was (is?) a glass-making centre of excellence. If you have ever been there and taken the tour of the glass factories, you might be familiar with the sheer amount of coloured glass that sits at the bottom of the water there. These fragments of glass have been worn down and had their edges dulled by their time in the water, which makes them ample keepsakes for the ...

    Hold me now, oh hold me now, until this hour has gone around. And I'm gone on the rising tide, to face Van Dieman's Land

    Theme Thursday again, and this one is rather easy. I am Tasmanian, you see, and aside from being all around general geniuses - as I have amply described previously - we are also very familiar with the concept of WATER. Tasmania is the ONLY island state of an ISLAND continent. That means, we're surrounded by WATER. That should help explain why I take so many photographs of water . Tasmania was for a long time the place where the British (an island race terrified of water) sent their poor people most vile and horrid criminals. The sort of folk who would face the stark choice of a death sentence , or transportation to the other end of the world. Their catalogue of crimes is horrifying : stealing bread assault stealing gentlemen's handkerchiefs drunken assault being poor affray ladies being overly friendly with gentlemen for money hitting people having a drink and a laugh public drunkenness being Irish Fenian terrorist activities being Catholic religious subversion. ...

    Happy anniversary baby, got you on my mind

    No it is not a webcam, but this photograph was taken a mere forty-five ago on my way in to work. Here you can see a good old fashioned Hobart autumn morning, with the rain pelting down and me getting drenched. This one was taken on the corner of Macquarie and Elizabeth, while I was waiting for the lights to change. Come on Ampelmännchen ! Today is my wedding anniversary, an apparently I need to be showering Jen with leather -related goodies. Va-va-vaVOOM! To you Jennifer, here is a poem I wrote this very morning. Anniversary I love you i love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE you I love YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou I LOVE YOU iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou Happy anniversary