Skip to main content

Why calling out misogyny matters (link)

I posted a few days ago some thoughts that I'd had about the noticeable sexism that can be found in the US Presidential pre-selection process. Without wanted to rehash it, I've been equally parts bemused, angered and depressed by some of my experiences online. Indeed, I've had a number of 'unpleasant' interactions in attempting to flag some of the inappropriate (read: sexist) attacks and assumptions on Clinton, or at least in trying to get people to at least self-identify that maybe some things should be 'out of bounds' in campaigning (like the t-shirt identifying Clinton as a prostitute). Generally speaking though, endeavouring to raise this doesn't seem to be provoking useful and thoughtful debate.

I'd like to think that I tread warily in these matters, and attempt to promote a good discourse rather than go in too heavy handed (at least on someone else’s blog!). But it appears to be to no avail, responses generally start at "Don't be so sensitive" to "fucking retard", "fucking idiot" or (my favourite) "you stupid fucking bitch" (I am a guy, BTW). And these occur in what are supposed to be "progressive" forums. I thought about posting a link to one of the nastier exchanges, but decided against it, because I actually don’t want to generate any sort of bounce in this guy’s traffic.

Anyway, the reason I'm going over it again is that someone forwarded on an interesting exposition on this from can be found on the Feministe website, titled "Why calling out misogyny matters". Anyone interested could well do have a look at what Zuzu has to say. It goes without saying that I agree with her, and would encourage everyone who encounters this sort of crap on line to 'call it out' when you see it, even if the response may well be as predictable as I've found. To me, to say nothing is far worse than to have no (obvious) effect.

Comments

Lake Lady said…
You seem to "get" what's going on here better than most of the people here. And I think you are right on. God save us from ourselves! ;-)
Kris McCracken said…
All that I would like – and the same applies in Australian political discourse – is for people to just show a bit of respect for others, play fair, rise above personality, focus on ideas rather than distractions and (heaven forbid) treat others in ways that brings people together rather than drive them apart. Thinking about how so many ordinary people in Zimbabwe have confronted violent intimidation and an already rigged election yet still turned out and cast their vote in a peaceful and respectful manner, we sort of owe it to them in places where that isn’t a problem to conduct ourselves with a bit of civility and respect, and not demean the process with the nonsense that can so commonly found.

Bloody hell, I’m sounding like Desmond Tutu! (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
good points, very good. We need to speak up. Sometiems I get weary. I have to keep up the good fight.
Maria Verivaki said…
hi kris - thanks for pointing it out: it's not mimosa, it's acacia - i got the name wrong and have corrected it on the post!
Marcel said…
I listen to NPR (National Public Radio) and I have sexist remarks and some raciest remarks not from NPR but others. But all in all I think we have come a long way from years gone by. However, we do still have a long way to go before we no longer judge people by the color of their skin or the gender.

Thanks for visiting my Sitka Daily Photo Blog.
stromsjo said…
From my vantage point the Clinton camp has given as well as they've taken but I do agree with you that the standard of online discussions in public fora is deteriorating. Same story in Sweden. If you can't take the insults and personal attacks, don't engage in online debate. This all spells bad news for our democracies.
Kris McCracken said…
It does depress me as well that fifty people can engage in an online debate (from all different standpoints), yet all it takes is four or five idiots to shut down discussion and drive everyone else away.

The Guardian forums are a good case in point. You once saw a lot of really vibrant discussion in there, but now it’s all either one-sided vitriol or a few people on polar opposite positions taking pot shots at each other.

Not here though!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral