Skip to main content

Ads That I Like: #59


You may well be familiar with the maxim “sex sells”. It is a feature of advertising as old as the craft itself, I would suspect. Indeed, I have featured a number of vintage advertisements on this here very blog over the past six months. You might remember Lolita on the comfy bed; or, Girl next door likes to suck on the most disguising things (and enjoys it!). Who could forget Hot babe in bikini lounges on the beach slowly cooking, but becoming ever more beautiful; a clean home = frisky husband; or (a favourite of my Church of Latter Day Saints-splinter group friends) he has a nice tie and a couple of girls on the go. Of course, there is the good old “treat her mean and keep her keen” approach; the brusqueness of a beautiful, proud Soviet cock standing to attention; and the sexy through the ages “hot babes with even hotter lawnmowers”.

So, despite this technique being as common as the little minx that can be found in the first link, it still jars me ever so slightly to see it applied to joining the armed forces. We’re talking about life of death here, preparing to face death on a daily basis for the protection of your country, it seems to me that a bunch of fellows drawn in for the sexual allure of the uniform might not be the sort of unit best prepared to defend the country.

Today’s ad features the Submarine service. Without doubt, this branch has been amongst the most dangerous (if not the most dangerous) branch of any of the armed forces. For US forces alone during the Second World War, you’re looking at the highest percentage causality rate of any branch of the service, at almost 23%! The nature of submarine warfare itself meant that the attrition rates were high, and that danger was always at hand.

Perhaps that explains the ad. Perhaps fellows belonging to the Submarine Service really did have a greater success rate on the pull than their counterparts in (for example), the Catering or Marines Corps.

So it should be clear that we are talking a real matter of life versus death here. That being the case, I think that they really should have just cut to the chase, thrown the coy subtlety out of the window and included the (edited out) second line:
“... and I volunteered to put it in my mouth!”






Ahem. Too crude? I can only apologise. I am at work, don’t want to be, and am tired and awfully cranky to boot. Please forgive me.

Comments

Isadora said…
The idea is to keep people from thinking by the image that steers the mind elsewhere. Always did work when it comes to men :)
Kris McCracken said…
I think that you are correct. Men are suckers for a bit of attention!

Popular posts from this blog

If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Henry admires the view.

Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it...

I still have the robot on the job. Here you can see the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery . And here is a poem: Soliloquy for One Dead Bruce Dawe Ah, no, Joe, you never knew the whole of it, the whistling which is only the wind in the chimney's smoking belly, the footsteps on the muddy path that are always somebody else's. I think of your limbs down there, softly becoming mineral, the life of grasses, and the old love of you thrusts the tears up into my eyes, with the family aware and looking everywhere else. Sometimes when summer is over the land, when the heat quickens the deaf timbers, and birds are thick in the plumbs again, my heart sickens, Joe, calling for the water of your voice and the gone agony of your nearness. I try hard to forget, saying: If God wills, it must be so, because of His goodness, because- but the grasshopper memory leaps in the long thicket, knowing no ease. Ah, Joe, you never knew the whole of it... I like Bruce Dawe. He just my be my favourite Austral

Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. A passion that goeth before a sprawl.

Here I have tried my hand at the homemade sepia-toned photo. I wasn’t happy with the way that the sun had washed out some of the colours in the original, so had a bit of a fiddle because I like the look on Henry’s face, and didn’t want to pass on posting it. I have a tip for those of you burdened with the great, unceasing weight of parenthood. I have a new recipe, in the vein of the quick microwaved chocolate cake . Get this, microwaved potato chips . I gave them a run on Sunday, Henry liked the so much I did it again last night. Tonight, I shall be experimenting with sweet potato. I think that the ground is open for me to exploit opportunities in the swede, turnip, carrot and maybe even explore in the area of pumpkins. Radical, I know. I’m a boundary-pusher by nature. It's pretty simple, take the potato. Slice it thinly (it doesn't have to be too thin, but thin enough). Lay the slices on the microwave plate, whack a bit of salt over the top and nuke the buggers for five minut